• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission cooler install

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
Anyone with a good link to a write up...with pics maybe...for a junkyard Transmission cooler install?

All I found on the search (transmission cooler install) was a dead link to one on jeepin.com from '05 or '07.

Thanks

The first two hits on Google - JeepForum and Jeep Horizons - are both good and will tell you all you need to know. It's a simple install, I'd say figuring out where to mount the cooler is the toughest part.

The Hansen trans cooler comes with the little zip clip things that slide though the fins on the raidiator. I placed mine infront of raidiator on mechanical fan side to draw air through it all the time. Eleminating the cooler that runs through the raidiator. Eleminating that cooler depends on where you live in the country... Real cold winters i would keep that cooler and run a secondary. Being in sunny SoCal.... I just run the aftermarket one.

You'll also find some other info at the bottom of page.

It's rather simple to install and aux tranny cooler however.. make sure you run from the trans to the aux cooler back to the factory cooler/radiator, running an Aw4 too cool is almost as bad as running it hot.

Get a plate style cooler from an early 90's explorer from the junkyard. They are thinner than the newer explorer ones and are almost an exact fit for the XJ's. All I had to do to install mine is bend one of the brackets that was on the cooler over and it fit an existing bolt hole. I would post up the picture I have here of the install but it's not mine and I don't want to post it on an open forum. PM me and I can email it to you.

While were on the subject, does it matter which way you place the in/out tubes,,,,up,down or sideways ?

For the record I put mine with the tubes at the bottom,,it seems that on first start/run in the am,the trans takes longer to shift out of first. Almost as if it was filling the cooler/lines ?

While were on the subject, does it matter which way you place the in/out tubes,,,,up,down or sideways ?

For the record I put mine with the tubes at the bottom,,it seems that on first start/run in the am,the trans takes longer to shift out of first. Almost as if it was filling the cooler/lines ?

I asked the same question before I revised my install. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1011262 Start at post 7 and there are some good posts below it regarding orientation.

never hear of overcooling an automatic transmission especially if you are lifted with larger tires lol. Ask jeeperjohn about over cooling an AW4. I could almost guarantee you that if you were to bypass the rad unit you will not overcool your tranny. Plus B&M has a bypass valve in there coolers so if the viscocity is too low it wont go through the cooler.

On the side and make sure you use the bottom fitting as your "input".

Just out curiosity.... When looking at the passangerside of an AW4. What line is the "out"? Flowing towards cooler? Front or rear?

The line closest to the engine is the supply line and the one farthest from the engine is the return.

The supply line should fit on the bottommost input of the cooler if mounting vertically so as to fill it up with fluid before it reaches the return outout eliminating any air pockets.

Back