• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000XJ - no start

GreenXJ2K

NAXJA Forum User
doesn't even crank, can hear fuel pump priming upon key 'ON', hear the relays click over in the interior pass side fuse box, checked all pertinent fuses with a multimeter under the hood fuse box, check engine light is on. Is there a way to check codes with the key turning on/off? In my 2002 TJ, it's 3 times, but didn't know if there was a trick with the XJ. Thinking it was the NSS (neutral safety switch) I put it in reverse, reverse lights came on. I also replaced the CPS about 2 years ago (purchased from dealer) forgot the test procedure for that as well.....any idea where else I should look? Battery is a year old, never left lights on or been dead.

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
Download the Check Engine Light codes, the Jeep is trying to tell what is wrong.

Begin with basic trouble shooting of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, and from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body. You must remove, scrape, and clean until shiny, the cable/wire ends, and whatever they bolt to. Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage, bad connections, or poor grounds.

Test the CPS.

Wiggle the shifter as you try to start in both Park and Neutral.

Thanks for the tip. I'm always under/in my jeep, I checked all the prime (easy) suspects first. Code was camshaft position sensor (CMP), dropped a new one in, fired right up. Runs a lot smoother as well!

Back