• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need a refresher course please...

jmeti000

NAXJA Forum User
My 87 open cooling system isnt building pressure to suck or blow (no comments please) the coolant back into the overflow bottle. Its not overheating, and I can tell from the temp gauge when the thermostat opens up initially after driving it around. Heater blows...not scalding hot, but it warms up the cabin. I felt both hoses when I got home and the upper was hot (not to hot to rest my hand on though), and the lower was luke warm. I thought it might be my t-stat stuck in the open position, but then I wouldnt be able to tell when it opens initially (unless its just staying in the open position afterwards..do they do this?). Then I thought maybe the cap is faulty. Both are pretty new (less than a year old), and there are no leaks in the system. Can someone please offer some insite?

Thanks

Clogged radiator?

Give it a flush and see if that fixes it. How old is that water pump?

I actually replaced everything at the same time...radiator, waterpump, t-stat, and cap. I felt the radiator and its pretty cool to the touch, but its not just oriented in one area or spot...its all pretty uniform as far as the radiator goes.

Did you "burp" the system after changing everything? Air pockets in the water jacket can cause flow issues.

its been burped...it worked fine a few days ago. Think I will pull the t-stat and start checkin things out..flush it while im at it and see if that helps.

Nevermind..just when and looked at it again and I found a small leak in the t-stat housing. I guess the heat from the engine evaporated the moisture from the leak so it didnt look like there was one. I think my jeeps gettin smarter...im gonna hafta start keeping closer tabs on it from now on lol.

LOL, it is the gremlins that are getting smarter, not the Jeep!

Back