• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some help reading check engine codes

Sooo...

Ok........ the flashes I saw don't make sense.

I saw: 12 35 73 35 4

Code 73 and 4 don't exist on any list of codes I've found. And there's no end of sequence code 55.

This is what I commonly refer to for '91-'95 XJ's:

Background

The newer Jeeps 1991-1996 XJ Cherokee and YJ Wrangler are equipped with an onboard problem reporting system that communicates to the owner through the check engine light. Not simply an "idiot" light, the check engine light can be triggered to flash in a series like morse code, where the user counts the number of flashes and looks up the corresponding trouble codes. These flashes equate to two digit numbers that report back, more or less, exactly what is failing on your Jeep.

When your check engine light comes on, do the following procedure to determine what is causing the system to report a problem. With the ignition off, switch the key on, off, on, off, on. (This needs to happen in under 5 seconds) Make sure you don't actually start your Jeep, turn the ignition to the ON position, but do not turn it so far that you start cranking the engine.

The check engine light will start to flash, count these flashes. Each code is a two digit number, for example 23 would be FLASH FLASH <pause> FLASH FLASH FLASH <long pause>

It will never flash more than 9 times, watch for pauses! The end of sequence code is 55.

Cherokee Engine Diagnostic codes

88 Start of test (This only appears on DRBII, it's not blinked out)

11 No ignition reference signal detected during cranking (bad hall effect) OR timing belt skipped one or more teeth; or intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor

12 Memory Standby power lost (Batt or computer recently disconnected)

13 No change in MAP from start to run

14 MAP sensor circuit open or shorted; voltage too low

15 No speed/distance sensor signal

16 Loss of battery voltage detected with engine running

17 Engine stays cold too long (bad thermostat)

21 Oxygen sensor signal out of range, possibly shorted

22 Coolant sensor signal out of range (or disconnected to set timing)

23 Intake air temperature signal out of range

24 Throttle position circuit out of range

25 Automatic Idle Speed (AIS) motor driver circuit shorted or target idle not reached, vacuum leak found

26 Peak injector circuit voltage has not been reached

27 Logic module fuel circuit internal problem or TBI injector does not respond properly to control signal

31 Evaporator Purge solenoid circuit open or shorted or Evaporator solenoid circuit

32 EGR system failure or Power loss lamp open or shorted

33 Air conditioning clutch relay circuit open or shorted ( Also will show up for rigs without AC)

34 Speed control vacuum or vent solenoid circuits open or shorted

35 Cooling fan relay circuit open or shorted

36 Wastegate control circuit open or shorted

37 Shift indicator light failure, 5-speed (blown bulb) OR Park/neutral switch failure OR Torque converter unlock circuit open or shorted, A-413 4-speed auto

41 Alternator field control circuit open or shorted

42 Automatic shutdown relay circuit open or shorted

42 Fuel pump relay control circuit

42 Fuel level unit - no change over miles OR Z1 voltage missing when auto shut-down circuit energized

43 Peak primary coil current not achieved with max dwell time OR Cylinder misfire

43 Problem in power module to logic module interface

44 No FJ2 voltage present at logic board OR Logic module self-diagnostics indicate problem OR Battery temperature out of range

45 Turbo boost limit exceeded (engine was shut down by logic module)

46 Battery voltage too high during charging or charging system voltage too low

47 Battery voltage too low and alternator output too low

51 Oxygen sensor stuck at lean position OR Internal logic module fault ('84 turbo only)

52 Oxygen sensor stuck at rich position OR Internal logic module fault ('84 turbo only)

53 Logic module internal problem

54 No sync pickup signal during engine rotation (turbo only) OR Internal logic module fault ('84 turbo only)

55 55 End of codes

61 "Baro" sensor open or shorted

62 EMR mileage cannot be stored in EEPROM

62 PCM failure SRI mile not stored

63 Controller cannot write to EEPROM

64 Catalytic converter efficiency failure

65 Power steering switch failure

Any ideas on what to do from anyone?

I am not seeing these codes anywhere either. Checked AllData and there are 3 digit and 4 digit codes also.

I did find a code 04 in an OTC Pegisys code library for O2 fuel to air system lean.

The 3 digit codes went from 801-818. This is a strange one....

i would start by solving 35, and see if the weird 73 goes away...

when solving based on check engine light, order of operations is usually best, start with the code that appears first.

Back