• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 231 bearing question.

CaliXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So a while back i rebuilt my 231 with no problems except one bearing that has now come back to bite me. At least i think so....

So i have more than normal lateral and side to side play in my front out put yoke. When i rebuilt it i couldn't for the life of me get the CUP bearing out of the rear half of the Tcase without cracking the housing or damaging the bearing so i thought "screw it! It will be fine" LOL Now i have to open it back up and take care of this problem. Is there a write up on getting this thing out and back in? Or is a driveline place the best option. Seal is not leaking yet and have checked the yoke is tight. Any and all input would be awesome. Thanks

Buddy of mine made his own internal bearing puller with a piece of allthread, a 5/8" socket and a length of flat stock. I have pics here..., i'll dig it up.

Made this bearing quick and easy work.

Yeah man! Pics of it would be awesome. Most of the guys rebuilding them say they made something to work but NO PICS of the tool they made.

Also.... I have a spare 231 sitting on the shelf. Are all NP231J's the same? Other than the 21 1or 23 input splines. If that has a good bearing in the case could i just swap the back half of the case and call it good?

i got a small punch and got the needles to come out of the bearing cage making it easy to then bend inwards and remove. also, if you simply get the needles out, a small puller can be bought at harbor freight. thats the method i used to get mine out

Yeah man! Pics of it would be awesome. Most of the guys rebuilding them say they made something to work but NO PICS of the tool they made.

Also.... I have a spare 231 sitting on the shelf. Are all NP231J's the same? Other than the 21 1or 23 input splines. If that has a good bearing in the case could i just swap the back half of the case and call it good?

as far as I know they are the same.

if you are going to pull the case anyway you might as well match the 2 case halves up and see.

I have had my case apart more times than I want to admit, and I am glad all my bearings are in great shape, seemed like it would be a major PITA to change any of them.

Back