• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 retube

Antklg

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting ready to retube a 79 dand 44. are the tubes just pressed in the chunk or are they welded also? I would just look for a different housing but this d44 was free and so is the tubing.

The tubes are pressed in and plug welded. Geting the old tubes out can be a PITA. you'll have to drill out the plugs, and unless you have access to a really big press, you may end up cutting the old tube out.
Once you get the center section free, you need some kind of alignment fixture when you install the new tubes to make sure they're lined up with each other and square on the housing.

Why are you wanting to remove the old tubes? is it a wrong side drop? Most people just strip all the brackets off a used housing, and re-use the original tubes.

It has the cast radius arm mounts. i work in a fab shop so i have access to a 40 ton press, arc gouger, and a full machine shop. it would be easier to just find a housing but like i said this one was free.

Last edited:
Once you get the center section free, you need some kind of alignment fixture when you install the new tubes to make sure they're lined up with each other and square on the housing.
Huh? The tubes are a press fit, There really isn't a way they can get cocked when pressed in, or not square. How would they not be lined up with each other? There is only one location they could be installed to. There shouldn't be a need for a special alignment fixture.

You can drill out the plug welds and press out the tubes but it is pretty hard. Just don't press across the housing crushing the housing.

I would just leave the tubes in place and sleeve the new tubes on.
The front has more freedom to be off alignment. The sleeve works for a lot of people.

If you want it better than that then alignment bar through the carrier bearings.

I've done this to a 79 D44. Drill out the plug welds then use a big hammer and hit the wedge on the short side tube first. Once thats out I used a piece of round stock thru the diff and knocked the long tube out.

By sleeving u mean put a piece of tubing inside the origional and the new tube then welding right?

Yup I add the sleeve on the inside I turn it on the lathe so it is a press fit.
Press in plug weld so doesn't slide press in the other side.
Then you have a nice strong joint.
Not all the IDs are the exact same size so the lathe was important.

A front axle is a lot more forgiving on being straight I've seen people use exhaust expander to center the tubes.

Like I said if you want it exact, well whatever you consider exact, you would use an Alignment bar in the carrier bearings then the spindle.

But you are going to need extra tube to go where the wedges were.

P1010023.JPG

that pic helps alot. im gonna sleeve it then make a jig to make sure it dosent pull while welding. did u use the inner c that was welded to the cast section. ive got a coworker that has 38 years experience helping me and he says it no problem i just like to reasearch what im doin. the best part is everything is free except the seals,brakes, and lockers. thanks for the help guys

that pictures is from a Kingpin ford D60.
I swapped the pumpkin side on that axle.

It's not rocket science you just need the C concentric to the carrier bearings when your finished, hell you could use square tube if you really want.

But the U-joint especially on a spindle axle float so you want it centered but it what you get from weld should be good enough just spread the welding out evenly.

Back