• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hit a rock, steering wheel turn, but aligment is fine????

JSwamper

NAXJA Forum User
I hit a rock with my driver side tire doing about 20km/h and came to a dead stop.

First thing I did was check by eye if my aligment was OK, and also check my tie rod ends and the whole steering setup was fine.I didnt notice the driving was any different and it drove straight on the road.

The only thing I notice is my steering wheel turned 90*.

My question is why did my steering wheel turn, but my jeep still drove straight.

98,auto,35's, currie HD steering setup

you can shove a screwdriver into the opening on your track bar and turn it to turn your steering wheel correctly. thats about as specific as i can get- maybe someone has a pic

My guess is you bent the drag link or the track-bar. Check the drag link just above where the steering stabilizer mounts to it and before the turn buckle, that is where I always bend them.

If I had a bend drag link or track-bar, wouldnt it drive all over the place or death wobble??

and my steering wheel turned 90*

my guess was other something in the steering box or maybe clock spring?

I have currie HD steering setup and its pretty beefy. I didnt hit the rock hard and it was big so it stopped the jeep.

As I stated before, it drives the same as it did before, except for my steering wheel turned.

well i would throw it on the alignment rack...center your steering wheel and then adjust your tie rod and drage link so everything is back within spec...problem solved

You may have hit hard enough to damage the suspension, not just the steering. Are the tires still centered in the wheel wells? You may have buckled a bracket or control arm and moved the axle back on one side.

If it drives fine, I'd just adjust the drag link to recenter the steering wheel. It doesnt take much to knock it out. Of course check all the other steering and suspension components.

Back