• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New user, Transfer case questions.

SCherokee1978

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. My name is Charlie and I'm addicted to Jeeps. I own an SJ Cherokee (which I know this is not the forum for), but am here for help in regards to a friends vehicle. The vehicle is one 1992 Cherokee 2 door 4 cyl. manual, and the component in question is the NP231J transfer case.

It does not work, the gear selector will move from the 2 hi into the 4hi position, even motion into neutral but 4 lo is a no go. The front drive shaft has been removed for some time because of a grinding-thunk when you spin the yoke. It (the front yoke) free spins with great ease at all times, including when the selector is in 4 hi.

My guess is a broken chain lying in the bottom of the case, and my hope is that is all that I will find broken.

Thank you for any input. Cheers. :smoker:

Sounds like a broken chain. It's cheaper in my opinion to by a good used t-case from the junk yards and then tear yours apart for the learning experience. Although I use mine as a daily driver and I'm no genius mechanic.

Jeepman, I appreciate that you took the time to throw a few sentences together and offer your opinion.

Other then that I can't say that I feel as though this is a very inviting group of individuals. Shouldn't be surprised I suppose.

Take care chaps.

This place is usually quite dead on the weekends. Something I have noticed over the years. If it were mine I'd get a replacement case from a pul a part and swap them out. Gl on the fix.

Back