• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 XJ Engine blown. Rebuild or Exchange?

ptf18

NAXJA Forum User
My '88 XJ has a blown engine (big hole in oil pan, believe to be where #1 rod came out). It had 288k on it.

Im trying to decide if I should have it repaired (overhauled) or try for one of the used but warrantied engines I see advertised on the 'net.

Thoughts? Money is a concern but Im not penny pinching either. Time is not a real concern either.

It was my DD which we bought new and would be used again for my DD.

If Igo with a warrantied engine do you all have any suggestions for a vendor? I'll probably get a local shop do the swap or rebuild work as I dont have time.

Most times when a rod cuts loose damage is done to the block/cylinder bore, yielding a non-rebuildable block. You might get away with a short block only.

I agree, replace the engine. If you will not do it yourself, try and find a shop that will supply the engine (that is an engine rebuilder) and do the install, so you have just one place to fight with if there is any warranty problem.

^
What he said. If at all possible find a shop that can find you a motor (might as well be a longblock instead of a shortblock, you'll probably come out cheaper that way vs. paying the shop to take parts off your motor to go onto a shortblock).

Back