• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

otk conversion compression steer

jeeptec

NAXJA Forum User
i did the otk conversion.there are several dips in my nieghborhood. when the jeep compresses it goes to the right. uncompresses goes to the left.the steering wheel does not move. i have rechecked all the bolts and nuts. all tight. caster is 6.5. camber 1/2 neg. toe is set 1/16. diff is centered. tracbar and steering angles are in the same line. im running a ustys hd T style steering. which is simila to the other t style systems. i did shim the right tie rod to stop tie rod roll. over all it rides supper and steers real nice on smooth roads.

generally when you do otk steering you need an ota trackbar system, that should put a stop to the bumpsteer issue.

I did the OTK conversion. There are several dips in my neighborhood. when the jeep compresses it goes to the right, uncompressed, it goes to the left. The steering wheel does not move.

Sounds likes a classic case of the drag link and track bar not being parallel. Either that or a bushing(s) or joint is worn. Are the track bar bushings tight?

Have someone rock the steering wheel (with the engine running) back and forth while you lay under the front end and feel for movement in each joint and bushing.
Jack the front end up and check the ball joints.

i found the cause it was bump steer. the HD rusty's hd steering linkage is desighned to have the drag link tie road on top of the wheel tie roads.i accidently installed it in front like some of the other t style steering conversions.i also noticed that the otk trackbar relocation braket also sits the trackbar about 1/2 high than others.so i loosened up the tie rods rolled the tie rod on top. drove it. no more bump steer.

Back