• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trans swap question. confirmation or deny please

hpi_jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I am changing my 2wd to 4wd I know it has been a topic a million times.
however no matter my searching I cannot confirm or deny.
I have a '97 2wd and a '984wd can I use the speed sensor and rotor out of the 2wd trans in the swap?

When you say "speed sensor," what are you referring to? As I recall, the AW4 has two (someone correct me if I am wrong, and this is on earlier XJ...)

There is one in the transfer case adapter housing (on 4WD) that is a Hall effect sensor, which basically reports that the vehicle is moving and generally what is going on.

The one that actually drives the speedometer is the one in the transfer case rear output housing, and is the one with the "speedo drive gear" that you always hear about having to change. Even with an electronic speedometer, you still have the drive pinion gear in the output housing, which can be changed to reflect changes in tyre size or final drive (axle) ratio.

I find it somewhat reasonable to presume that the Hall effect sensor (if present) may be swapped freely between 2WD and 4WD versions - and I'm almost certain that the speedo drive can be readily swapped without incident (use the proper gear for the adapter housing, there are two shaft lengths as well. I believe the short shaft is for mechanical speedo, and the long shaft for electric.)

You're probably right - I'm about willing to bet this has been done to death in the past. However, it's probably also far enough in the past that I can't recall answering it, so here you go! (If it had been done recently, I'd either offer a few search terms to test your Google-Fu, or just tell you to search it up because I know I'd answered it recently and didn't want to go through it again...)

Just about anything you need to know about an AW-4 swap is here -->> http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970

You simplest solution is to buy and install the correct 4wd AW-4 for your Cherokee that needs no modifications.

I agree. The catch is I own a '97 so the only "correct" aw4 is from a '97. I have been searching craigs and forums hard to find a '97

I have read the link several times over. It has answered many of my questions. I am just left asking if the rotor out of my 2wd trans will work in a 4wd.
thanks for your time guys

Back