• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OTK for XJ

ArmyDad

NAXJA Forum User
OK, here's one I'm contemplating and about to pull the trigger on ... BUT ... need some input from you "high steer" guys.

I'm going to build up the OTK as demonstrated by GoJeep. Here is his description of doing an OTK on an XJ using all Jeep parts:

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoOTKSteeringLinks.htm

Is it as strong as aftermarket? No. But (1) it's less $$$ than aftermarket, (2) WAY stronger than what I've got and (3) I'm doing it myself ... with the help of other people's experience, of course. Not being a welder/fabricator does have it's limitations.

Here's part 2 of the OTK and where I'm looking for input ... in respect to track bar/drag link angles and the dreaded "death wobble": the idea it to keep the drag link and track bar operating in the same plane, aka "parallel to each other". In the typical lift kit you'd get an adjustable track bar with drop bracket (frame side) and dropped pitman arm. They'd have the same drop and would be lowering the body side of the components to maintain the angles. Here's what I'm proposing ...

I'm going to do the OTK which will raise the axle side of the drag link between 2-1/2 and 3". I'm also getting an adjustable track bar with 3" drop bracket which will lower the body side of the track bar. The track bar and drag link will still be parallel in this scheme. Is this a pass or fail?
=====

OK, here's one I'm contemplating and about to pull the trigger on ... BUT ... need some input from you "high steer" guys.

I'm going to build up the OTK as demonstrated by GoJeep. Here is his description of doing an OTK on an XJ using all Jeep parts:
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoOTKSteeringLinks.htm
I'm going to do the OTK which will raise the axle side of the drag link between 2-1/2 and 3". I'm also getting an adjustable track bar with 3" drop bracket which will lower the body side of the track bar. The track bar and drag link will still be parallel in this scheme. Is this a pass or fail?
=====

Who sells a dropped frame-side tracbar bracket that lowers the bar 3"s over stock?
Go Jeep's OTK uses a raised axle-mounted tracbar bracket.

Who sells a dropped frame-side tracbar bracket that lowers the bar 3"s over stock?
Go Jeep's OTK uses a raised axle-mounted tracbar bracket.

I checked with Rough Country and their adjustable track bar (PN 1079) has a 3" body side drop bracket.

Yeah, GoJeep did the above the axle but I'm not a welder so am going about it a different way.
=====

I checked with Rough Country and their adjustable track bar (PN 1079) has a 3" body side drop bracket.
Couldn't find any specs on the drop but, on RC's website photo, it does look to be very long. The extra 3" of length is going to put a lot of strain on the frame rail. I'm surprised that RC doesn't offer a track bar cross member brace, similar to R.E.'s.
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Jeep/XJ/Product.aspx?folder=XJTB&part=RE1670
When you get this done, please post some photos. I have not seen any of these brackets in use.

Couldn't find any specs on the drop but, on RC's website photo, it does look to be very long. The extra 3" of length is going to put a lot of strain on the frame rail. I'm surprised that RC doesn't offer a track bar cross member brace, similar to R.E.'s.
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Jeep/XJ/Product.aspx?folder=XJTB&part=RE1670
When you get this done, please post some photos. I have not seen any of these brackets in use.

Excellent point!! I will look into the RE track bar and cross member. Part of my future building plans include a lot of bracing and frame support.
=====

If your planning on going OTK then you might as well upgrade to "1 ton" steering. I run JCR's otk setup and have my trackbar in the stock location..... needless to say the bumpsteer is so minimal that I'm leaving it in the stock location. I run a Rock Krawler HD trackbar w/ bomb proof mount, the frame side mount might be a little lower then stock but not sure. My angles are off but like I said the bumpsteer isn't as bad as people make it out to be, I highly reccomend going one ton while going OTK.

After reading through the link, and with the purchase of the right hand drag link at 100 plus buks and replacing tre s you might as well get the ballistic steering kit with the Chevy 1 ton tre for 230 buks from ballistic fab.

After reading through the link, and with the purchase of the right hand drag link at 100 plus buks and replacing tre s you might as well get the ballistic steering kit with the Chevy 1 ton tre for 230 buks from ballistic fab.

Once I confirmed how expensive the RHD drag link has become, I'm reconsidering what is going to go into my upgrade.
=====

The reamer to go to 1 ton tres is almost $100 by itself. Yes 1 ton stuff is much stronger, but the op stated his desire to keep cost down. His way could be done for less than $200, with the 1 ton kit and reamer his looking at double that.

The alternate to the one ton reamer is drilling 1 in. hole and install the tapered shim for the 1 ton tre..... Now my problem with this suggestion is, your drilling a 1 in. hole in an arm that's only 1.5 in. wide leaving only a little bit of material to hold the tre in place, I wanted to ask if anyone had done this.

Thanks for all the input, folks. With the information received, I'll be sticking to the UTK. My concerns were for TRE operating angles with the lift height that will ultimately be reached and those concerns have been put to rest.
=====

Back