• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shock bolt torque and hardness?

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
Replacing my shock's upper bolts today.
Ya'll will hate me but mine came out with no issues whatsoever. Didn't even PB blast them lol.
I picked up some 10.9 bolts, but just read somewhere that factory used Grade 5.
I know 10.9s aren't as soft as 5s but aren't as brittle as 8s.
Did I get the right kind of bolt?

Also I've read they're supposed to be torques to 85 ft/lbs.
Mine couldn't have been more than 50 lbs at best.

I'm going to put a dab of anti seize on them to prevent probs in the future, but what should I actually torque them to??
Got a nice wrench and I love precision.
Anyone?

I would think 50lbs would be adequate. I use my built-in torque gauage...Part of my family genetics.:farmer:

btw, what size thread/pitch bolt did you get? I'm doing my rear shocks this weekend and want to replace the bolts with better hardware.

Thanks! No genetic wrench here though, just a classy "red boxed" harbor freight special lol. Got it calibrated professionally though and it's super accurate now.
They are Zinc (screw rust!!!) M8 x 1.25" x 30 flanged and some 12ga wire, nuts and washers JIC anything broke.

So, about the 10.9 rating.........?
Am I good? 5 or 8 instead and if so, why?
I just need a definitive answer on grade from one more experienced than I so I can either stick 'em in or exchange them.

Also, should I use anti-seize or blue loctite on them? I've read both but all from "theorists" no one that's done either and reported back pros and cons.

Last edited:
They will be fine, As far as antiseize vs locktite, either one will prevent corrosion in the threads, so its a matter of if you want it to stay tight/ not get stuck, or never get stuck

your call

Thanks! No genetic wrench here though, just a classy "red boxed" harbor freight special lol. Got it calibrated professionally though and it's super accurate now.
They are Zinc (screw rust!!!) M8 x 1.25" x 30 flanged and some 12ga wire, nuts and washers JIC anything broke.

So, about the 10.9 rating.........?
Am I good? 5 or 8 instead and if so, why?
I just need a definitive answer on grade from one more experienced than I so I can either stick 'em in or exchange them.

Also, should I use anti-seize or blue loctite on them? I've read both but all from "theorists" no one that's done either and reported back pros and cons.

10.9 is metric, grade 5 and grade 8 are SAE, you can't mix and match. 10.9 is equivalent to grade 8.

The zinc coating can still rust through just FYI.

10.9 should be fine. They should be less likely to shear off the next time. I've heard varying opinions on loctite versus anti-seize, but I think either is better than neither.

I don't know where you got that 80 foot pound figure from. That's way too much for a little bolt like that. The 99 FSM puts it at 17. 46 for the lower nut.

Back