• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just got new tires- Jeep still shakes. Ideas?

@dam

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '95 XJ Sport 5-spd with 200k. I just got new tires- Khuma Road Venture AT, 225 75R15. I had 235 BFG KO's before and they were totally cupped and shot- they shook like hell. My shocks have 4k on them.

I figured the new tires would fix the vibes, and they did dramatically reduce them, but I have a high frequency vibration I still feel. It becomes noticable from 45, and you feel it from there on up. It's low amplitude, high frequency. Going down the freeway you can feel the vibration in the hair on your arms. My mind might be tricking me, but it feels a little stronger on right curves.

What do you guys think? Might my driveshaft have lost a weight? Bad balancing job? Something else?

Oh yeah- for the last few years my rear brakes pulse at random. Sometimes not at all, sometimes violently. The warmer it is & longer I've been driving, the more likely they are to pulse. Could this be related?

Wheel bearings Im going through this myself right now and new wheel bearings made a 50% + but I think I need to get tire and do Front unit-bearings also.So you might have bad Grease seals in the rear diff.The brakes could be loaded with grease I had that problem too all that is easy to do stuff .

Last edited:
Do you think that could be causing the intermittent pulsing as well (the pulsing goes away for a few hundred miles when I get new drums)?

How much should something like that cost to fix?

there are so many things that casue vibes so start with the free easy stuff:

check driveshaft u joints, especially pinion u joints for any wear/journaling
check control arm and leaf spring bushings for wear and check bolts for torque
trackbar wont cause vibes as much as wandering or death wobble, but check both sides anyway
ball joints are more likely to be wandering as well but jack up front and look for play in the ball joints too
check brake rotors for warpage and gouging since you say you have vibes under hard braking usualyl means warped/gouged rotors possibly.

yah bad rear outer axle seals getting grease on brakes will cause pulsing as well so pull off you drums/rotors in the rear and clean it out.

you should check wheel bearings too.
ive been running 13$ each (but stock, which is nice) junkyard wheel bearings for a couple years and i drive to and from the trails and wheel it hard and they are holding up so you could consider that if they are shot.

or they arent balanced properly. im not sure if a bent rim would do that too

Last edited:
I did have a minor leak on the axle seal and had that replaced when I had the brakes done (I wasn't going to do them myself when it's $100 for all four). There is no oil on them now- I checked a couple of months ago.

How do I check the wheel bearings? Jack it up and try to shake the tire?

Edit- I just called a shop and they said axle bearings won't cause vibration. Huh? That doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
You may call the Jeep dealership and ask if they will do a free inspection. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've found several Jeep dealerships who have fairly good Jeep mechanics and who know the most common problems. More importantly, they can fix them for a fairly affordable price and give you a warranty to back it.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I have a bent wheel. It walks side-to-side.

stl09012u.jpg

I had a similar problem with my 93 sport.

It turned out that I had a culmination of issues:
-bad wheel bearing on front passenger side
-bad axleshaft u-joints on front both sides.

I replaced the axleshafts with cv shafts out of a 95 jeep GRAND cherokee and replaced that bad wheel bearing. It runs smooth as glass now.

Before replacing the cv's and wheel bearing, my jeep would wander on the road, major front end vibration (especially @ 45 mph and 60 mph), and had a strange "death roll" when driving down the highway. When my jeep hit a bump the whole jeep would shift sideways and the body would roll back and forth as if I had bad shocks (even though they were brand new). All of these problems went away with the fix.

Back