• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a little advice...

dAng! XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed a Durango steering box on my XJ. I have Rusty's OTK Steering. After installing the Durango box with the spacers and C-Rock inner brace, I can not get my steering wheel straight. I have adjusted the drag link as far as it will go and the wheel is pointing at about 10 o'clock. Driving is perfect, no pull, drives straight as an arrow.

Now to my question...
Do I need to take the steering wheel off and put it back on straight?
Do I need to remove the drag link and replace with a shorter one?
Will removing my steering wheel and placing it straight affect my lock to lock turn radius?

Any help is much appreciated!!!

Dumb question, was the box centered when you installed it? I know the pitman arm can only go on one way but was it centered? Also, was the steering linkage centered? Maybe you are a full turn out and that's causing the issues.

The steering wheel is keyed to only go on one way. Check that you have the same number of turns from center to each side.

If it is lifted, you will need to adjust the track bar to center the wheels side to side, then adjust the drag link to center the steering wheel. At some amount of lift, you will run out of adjustment and will need to buy/build a new steering setup.

Thanks guys, I was thinking I was just gonna have to build a new drag link.

You didn't say what year XJ you have. If it's a late model(anything with the Chrysler steering column) be careful spinning the steering wheel. There's a piece called a clock spring inside. It needs to stay centered. It can only take about 4 turns or so, then it breaks. 'About $200 to replace.

As for the 'box. check to see if the pitman arm is pointed straight back when the wheel is straight. if the pitman arm is off to one side, you may need to re-align the steering column with the box. If the steering wheel and pitman arm line up, the problem is your drag link.

Has the 'box been apart?

It is a '96. No, the box hasn't been apart. The steering column does have a clock spring I belive.

Back