• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 questions.

kxfracer108

NAXJA Forum User
Didn't know whether to put this in oem or modified descussion but I'm thinking about axles now for my jeep. I found a Dana 30 axle in good condition with 4.10 gears for 300. First off is that a decent deal. I don't want to dump a lot of money in axles. But I want a ford 8.8 with 4.10s so I won't have to regear the front.

Will I notice a difference between 3.55 and 4.10?

I am running 35s with east coast weekend wheeling? I will beat on it decently but I don't want full widths. Need to keep up with a samurai.

will you notice a difference? yes, but it will still seem underpowered. i have 4.56's right now and 35's, and when i build my next axles i am going 4.88 or 5.13 because there was a big difference from 33's. as for the price, thats not too bad, it seems that those axles are getting harder to find, and here in MI you wont find one for that price.

Is it still a high pinion? Or a TJ (low pinion) 4cyl front axle?

If high pinion, then sounds like a good deal.

I don't know how you are running 35's w/stock gearing but 4.10 will be better, 4.88 is okay, I would like to go lower myself!

I'm running 4.88 on 35's here in the mountains and I really need much lower gears.

Here is what I'm turning on the freeway with 4.88/BFG MT 35's and corrected speedo

P1020425.jpg

I do as well but I sometimes drive 3hours to the trails and I refuse to trailer it. The challenge is getting there and getting back after beating on it.

True Offroader.

Yes this is a good deal for the axle and yes it will help you. But like everybody said that runs 35's, you'll want to go lower gears after awhile.Run a trans cooler too.

Yea I know that situation. My brother has a samurai that can't go over 45 so we have to trailer anything more then 20 mins or so. And has a flat bed truck that the Sammy fits on and trailer

$300 for a HP 30 i think is a lot... disc to disc? was it rebuilt? does it come with all the steering? brakes?... i could justify $300 if was a straight bolt in, has newer seals, bearings, ball joints...

maybe im exceeding a bit, but i kept my eyes open for a while & ended up scoring a 30 & 8.25 with brakes & steering for half of that....

True Offroader.

Yes this is a good deal for the axle and yes it will help you. But like everybody said that runs 35's, you'll want to go lower gears after awhile.Run a trans cooler too.

Thanks! You'll notice in my pic above that the steering wheel is "cocked to the left" from beating on it! Old Blue always gets me home though.

I'll toss out my 2 cents. I think that $300 sounds high. That said, I don't know what they go for in the pick a parts in Connecticut, but down here, you can pick them up for $150-$175 in the yards.

I have a very hard time finging a d30 axle with 410 gears in it already.Most have 373 or 355 in them.How much to have a set of gears put into a axle if you don't know how to do it?Now 300 is a good price right?

Back