• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AMC 15/Dana 35

mongolchuck

NAXJA Forum User
I know these are essentially the same axle and the switch happened sometime in 86. I have an 86 that is confusing the hell out of me. It is time to do rear axle seals and since it is non c-clip i'm doing bearings and as well. Here's the confusing part. I looked up on alldata and it shows the difference between the tubes for the 15 and the 35. My axle is the 35. It also shows the difference between the axle shafts. The 15 shafts have a square fixture slot at the end and the 35 has a clutch style fixture. Mine are the 15 shafts!! Any body ever run into this? I'm trying to get the parts together but it appears the 15 shafts are a little smaller. I guess I'll have to pull one out and mic it for the proper seal but I really just want to all the parts ready.
Any suggestions?

AMC/JEEP and Dana rear axles can be identified by axle tube configuration. The axle tube on AMC/JEEP axles (Fig. 2) has a friction weld joint (A) just inboard of the tube flange. The tube end (B) on Dana axles (Fig. 3) is expanded.

The Dana axle shaft has a clutch head style fixturing slot (C) in the shaft end (Fig. 4). The AMC/JEEP axle shaft has a square fixturing slot (D)in the shaft end (Fig. 4).

Last edited:
Back