• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

water in driver footwell after rain.

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 4 door XJ and everytime it rains hard I find a legit puddle of water in the driver side footwell. I don't see any signs that it is coming from the ceiling since there are no water marks on the headliner and I pulled the trim around the windshield to see if the glue had any holes in it and I could not see any. I inspected the door seal and it does not have any holes or looks rotted but they are original so I don't know maybe they are leaking. I know the plastic on the door handles of these jeeps tends to show marks if water lands on it and I noticed that there are some water marks on there and most of the water puddles up closest to the door. Any ideas on where else I should check? Or does it seem like I should replace the door seal?

Any yes I did make sure the window was all the way up.

The common places for Cherokee water leaks are the windshield seal, the door seals, the seal around the blower motor fan, the am/fm antenna grommet, and the sheet metal seam at the cowl/firewall. Also check for rust holes in the floor pan.

Make sure the doors are adjusted to fit snugly in the openings and compress the seals firmly. Use a garden hose at low/medium pressure to test the other entry points.

Last edited:
Use a garden hose at low/medium pressure to test the other entry points.

This is how i found mine.Lower corner was leaking.Then i was driving after i fixed it and found the top all the way across leaked on the driverside.But we don't get that much rain here in CA so i just said screw it.When it rain i don't drive it and if i'm out and it rains i get lunch an wait or drive home slow.:cheers:

Mine leaks through the rubber grommet where the main wire harness come in. I ran a power wire through there for an amp.

I found the leak on my '93 XJ the same as 91to99 did. It was at the main wire harness
grommet - near to the where the steering column passes through the firewall.

Water passes through the rear edge of the hood, then trickles down the firewall, and in through the wire harness grommet - and onto the floor.

I disconnected the harness, pulled it from the firewall and applied a healthy bead of
automotive silicone sealant in that area. Then reassemble. After the silicone hardened,
I wrapped the area (engine compartment side) with tape.

All has been dry since.

I have a ton of wires running through that firewall grommet one of the wires is a 4 gauge amp wire so maybe that is where it is coming from. Never really thought of that one since it is under the hood. I will try the hose trick and see if I can find another spot. I am thinking it is either the grommet or the door seal at this point. Anyone know where I can find the door weather stripping for cheap? I have only been able to find them in quantities enough for one door and they are about $50 which seems pricey to me. Also I figured autozone or the like would have it but they don't and I just can barely find it on the internet.

you can use soda water and a black light... the quinine reacts to ultraviolet ... doesn't work great but it does work

one person pours soda water on chit while another person uses the black light and says "I can't see anything"

Back