• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

draglink?

davidson99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I have a 99 and both tre on my draglink are shot. It is like $175 for the best that napa offers for both ends. That's just factory replacement but their best brand. I didn't know if there was a better aftermarket one out there that would do better that would bolt up to factory tie rod and pitman arm? I currently have a V8 ZJ tie rod with new ends. So that's a little beefier then stock. I would like to go with a beefier setup all around. Hopefully my tb comes in tomorrow. I am slowly replacing everything to get rid of my dw. Any ideas or suggestions on what to do about draglink/steering??? Hoping to get it all done this weekend.

If you want to stick with teh Y link, ill keep in touch with you, a local shop here in Denver, the guy is trying to design a drag link so you can keep the Y link set up. I run his tie rod, so hes wanted to make a drag link that super beef and will replace the stock one. I can keep in touch with you if you want man.

If you want to stick with teh Y link, ill keep in touch with you, a local shop here in Denver, the guy is trying to design a drag link so you can keep the Y link set up. I run his tie rod, so hes wanted to make a drag link that super beef and will replace the stock one. I can keep in touch with you if you want man.

I was wanting to try and get it done this weekend

I was wanting to try and get it done this weekend
If you want to retain the ZJ tie rod, then a Factory-style drag ink is your only choice. Get the better Napa draglink.

Currie sells their y-steering kit with an HD draglink and tie rod. Neither are exchangeable with stock parts.

I would like to keep everything to were it just bolt on...so if I'm on the trail and something breaks I can throw a stocker in to get it home....are all these ones you guys are naming just bolt on or you have to modify to make them fit...sorry still don't know a lot about this s**t yet

Well, you can do two things. Build the system to where you can unbolt stuff when it breaks, and just replace with stock and drive home, or build it so it won't break, and drive home.

I don't plan on doin "extreme" wheeling so I think that just a bolt on system. I just don't want to start reaming parts out to make new fit

Did the tracbar show up?

I would go with the Serious off road 1ton steering. You will have to get 3 inserts from the also. I'm currently running the IRO steering and plan on replacing it with the SOR kit.

people post this all the time... "just use the offset TREs that ruffstuff offers. lowlz"

how the hell are offset TREs supposed to work with anything other than a true crossover setup, where the tie rod goes from drag link, to drag link.
good call! I wasn't thinking clearly... anyways I run regular 1ton chevy tre's(1.5 dom rod) and have a slight bend in my tierod and it's work flawlessly for 5+ years

good call! I wasn't thinking clearly... anyways I run regular 1ton chevy tre's(1.5 dom rod) and have a slight bend in my tierod and it's work flawlessly for 5+ years

Did you build it yourself or bought it with the 1.5" dom from someone? Most if not all companies I have heard of only offer 1.25" dom. Ironman4X4 do offer 1.5" cold rolled.

Did you build it yourself or bought it with the 1.5" dom from someone? Most if not all companies I have heard of only offer 1.25" dom. Ironman4X4 do offer 1.5" cold rolled.

A local guy from a small company(banditoffroad) made it plenty of people around here run it and it's super beefy.

I don't plan on doin "extreme" wheeling so I think that just a bolt on system. I just don't want to start reaming parts out to make new fit
if you want bolt in...
-look into currie stuff. you wont be able to find replacements over the shelf, youll have to call currie. should be stronger than your needs though.
- simply upgrade your tie rod with the ZJ one, thicker, bolt in. or any other aftermarket drag link. i like the RC one. uses 2 jam nuts (included).

if your not affraid to rework your knuckles and possibly sway bar links:
- look into the goferit tie rod flip.
- look into using a RHD drag link, and installing it OTK with the goferit inserts.

my opinion, replace your worn TREs and drive around. doing everything on a budget sucks, which (no offense) looks like most of your posts. i can identify, i go to school full time. as long as the jeep is safe and drivable, leave it alone and save. youll be much happier when you buy what you WANT instead of what your willing to settle for. (not trying to turn this thread into a life lesson either).

another option, replace your TREs, hold onto them and find a stock tie rod someone is throwing away. boom, trail spare.

EDIT:
if you have a ZJ tie rod with new ends (first post) then why do you need to spend $175 on new TREs for your stocker? why do you need to spend $175 on TREs period? i fail to see what you want to accomplish if you already have 2 tie rods and 1 is beefier AND has new TREs. have you ever bent a tie rod? you said your not doing "extreme" wheeling. run what you got.

Last edited:
if you want bolt in...
-look into currie stuff. you wont be able to find replacements over the shelf, youll have to call currie. should be stronger than your needs though.
- simply upgrade your tie rod with the ZJ one, thicker, bolt in. or any other aftermarket drag link. i like the RC one. uses 2 jam nuts (included).

if your not affraid to rework your knuckles and possibly sway bar links:
- look into the goferit tie rod flip.
- look into using a RHD drag link, and installing it OTK with the goferit inserts.

my opinion, replace your worn TREs and drive around. doing everything on a budget sucks, which (no offense) looks like most of your posts. i can identify, i go to school full time. as long as the jeep is safe and drivable, leave it alone and save. youll be much happier when you buy what you WANT instead of what your willing to settle for. (not trying to turn this thread into a life lesson either).

another option, replace your TREs, hold onto them and find a stock tie rod someone is throwing away. boom, trail spare.

EDIT:
if you have a ZJ tie rod with new ends (first post) then why do you need to spend $175 on new TREs for your stocker? why do you need to spend $175 on TREs period? i fail to see what you want to accomplish if you already have 2 tie rods and 1 is beefier AND has new TREs. have you ever bent a tie rod? you said your not doing "extreme" wheeling. run what you got.

yes I have a ZJ tie rod. But not drag link. You have 5 tre total on your front end IF you include the one on your track bar. Which I got rid of lastnight( thanks the rehberg) my tie rod.....going from drag link to driver wheel....is V8 ZJ but my draglink....passenger wheel to pitman arm.....has both the tre bad. And yeah I am on a tight budget. I'm just getting started in the body work business and that's not cheap. Between my 3 tool payments matco, mac, and snap on....I'm making a higher payment a month on that then a lot of people I know make on house payments. So when I have some extra $ I put it back for the jeep. I need to stop being a tight ass and just buy what I want the first time and be done with it. I think I'm leaning towards the SOR setup

Last edited:
the ZJ drag link and XJ drag link are no different. ever notice how much heavier it is than the XJ tie rod? its solid stock.

i replaced all 4 of my TREs (including the drag link, which has a TRE fixed to it) for under $100. i priced out buying all brand new ZJ steering, and it came out to around $200, and thats running all MOOG TREs, buying the ZJ tie rod, and a second adjuster sleeve.

the ZJ drag link and XJ drag link are no different. ever notice how much heavier it is than the XJ tie rod? its solid stock.

i replaced all 4 of my TREs (including the drag link, which has a TRE fixed to it) for under $100. i priced out buying all brand new ZJ steering, and it came out to around $200, and thats running all MOOG TREs, buying the ZJ tie rod, and a second adjuster sleeve.

Yes I know they are the same. I was wondering if there was anything else I could use instead of stock and swappingout all the steering. But i think that im just going to go with the SOR setup

Back