• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

alternator relocation

bdiamond

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of building brackets to move the alternator up to(close to) where the a/c compressor currently sits. So far they have turned out pretty slick. This bracket will completely replace all the bracketry on the pass. side of the engine. These brackets would delete the a/c and a second electric fan would be required. A few people have said I ought to make few because others would probably want one. How much demand would there be for a bracket like this? How much might they be worth?

Not completely finished with them yet. I have a few cellphone pics of them installed on an engine sitting on a stand. My phone takes lousy pictures, so no not really on the pics....

I've mocked it up on a renix. How much different is a HO? All the bolt holes should be in the same spot engine wise, but how much different are the alternators?

It wouldn't take much to make this setup work with a denso alt. Def would be a different set of tabs but not overly different

Brian, send me some pics again to my phone and I'll upload um to here

How much higher does the alternator sit compared to the YJ bracket set? They place the middle of the alternator on the same plane as the factory battery tray, and the AC compressor is retained. If it's higher, I can see an advantage.

Battery_Tray_Clearanced.jpg

Radiator_Clearance.jpg

The mechanical fan is mounted off the a/c bracket which is scrap metal after installing this new bracket.

this has me confused, i've never seen 1 4.0 renix or HO that the fan was mounted off the a/c bracket :dunno: care to explain?

Last edited:
Really need some pics I think the point is being missed here

i'm not missing the point, he is making brackets to mount the alt where the a/c used to be. i'm just trying to figure out why 1. the mechanical fan can't be used and 2. where it mounts on the ac bracket.

i'm not missing the point, he is making brackets to mount the alt where the a/c used to be. i'm just trying to figure out why 1. the mechanical fan can't be used and 2. where it mounts on the ac bracket.
Okay the fan mounts off a pulley that mounts off a standoff on the a/c bracket. This will not be used. To simplify the installation 1. pull off every bracket on the passenger side of the engine 2. throw the removed brackets in the scrap pile 3. install new brackets. Its amazingly simple I think it is really getting over thought...

Okay the fan mounts off a pulley that mounts off a standoff on the a/c bracket. This will not be used. To simplify the installation 1. pull off every bracket on the passenger side of the engine 2. throw the removed brackets in the scrap pile 3. install new brackets. Its amazingly simple I think it is really getting over thought...

But if I pulled off every bracket, how would I mount my coil?

...frustrated yet ;)

Back