• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chassis stiffeners

jeo

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,
I was about to purchase and install a set of T&J Performance's (tandjperformance.com) chassis stiffeners for my cherokee, but first I asked my local Jeep guy if he had any opinions on them. He told me that he heard they tear the chassis sheet metal at the weld points. Just wondering if anyone has any similiar stories or if he's full of BS because he didn't want to order them in for me.
Thanks.

I just ordered them but haven't put them on yet. I've heard theories (no personal accounts) that if you're real extreme with the Jeep that after a year or two it could rip where the welds are. I'm planning on putting in a cage also in a year or two, but I'm hoping the T&J stiffener will do the trick for the next couple of years. I would also assume that if the welds are done correctly and don't burn through the unibody stuff, that they'll hold up better.

I have my concerns about whether they even work.Particularly over a well designed rock-rail!The last real thread about them also pointed out some conflicts with alot of the store bought rails.

What I'd like to do on mine would be to create custom rails that weld to the stiffener itself.

That sounds interesting if you still tie it back to the frame like a slider.Let me know if you need some 1 1/2"rnd bent up!

Sounds good, thanks. From talking with the guys at T&J, the stiffener bolts into the LCA & UCA mounts, and onto the Rear Leaf Spring Hanger, and then has plates that weld it every so often to the sub-frame rail, which is also plated with the 3/16" skids that will be rosette welded and all that to the rails. I'll have to see it once it's on. If it looks stout, I might just try to have the rails welded directly to that and nothing else. If the strength is questionable, then it will be harder because I'll have to make/have something made that wraps around the frame rail as you mentioned to make the rails even stronger.

chassis stiffeners

Typical rockrail installation pics that I have seen, show 2 attachment points on each "frame rail" and multiple attachments along the pinch seam. This may tie the frame rail to the pinch seam more securely, but is NO replacement for a full front to rear "sistering" of the frame rails. The rock rails only control torsion at 2 points along the framerail (better than no rockrail ;) ), but not as thorough as welding a continous support along the entire rail.
This support can be tube (T & J) or you can use "C" channel or box tube. I like C channel, because I think it lends itself better to tying-in with rockrails. Instead of the bends that you can do with tube, you would miter cut the changes in angle along the frame.

HECK! For all that matters,...you could even use UniStrut instead of C channel. Then you can bolt to it & through it, weld on it, hang other components off of it, OR even use it as a raceway for wires or tubing :eek: .
Stuff is strong :attom: , it's revolutionized the Construction Industry! Last time I bought some, it was $30 -$40 for 10' lenght.

BLUTO :)

Back