• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new fan clutch leaking oil?

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
I put a new fan clutch on my 97 4.0L back in July and I popped the hood today and noticed and oily substance at the bottom of the fan shroud and upon further inspection I saw there was residue on the fan blades extending from the center of the clutch. I also saw some oil residue spots on the hood most likely from the fan flinging the oil onto it. The oil seems to look like standard clean motor oil but it is extra thick and sticky very similar to Lucas oil stabilizer petroleum based.

I feel like this is not supposed to happen and that something is wrong with it.

It does not spin freely and it still spins when the engine is on.

Any ideas what is going on?

Thats what I was thinking I would do. Would this be affecting its performance at all? I notice at low speeds and idle the engine temp get a little high and the trans temp goes way up to nearly 220 until I really get moving (I put my aux tranny cooler right in front of the mechanical fan and bypassed the radiator).

It would. As the oil heats up it expands and reduces the slip between engine RPM and actual fan RPM. With oil leaking out, it'll keep slipping further and further till there's no oil left.

Back