• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smashed Jeep Fix or Scrap?

hoopty1111

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

Last week I lost the rear end of my 2000 sport on a slick surface and overcompensated into a tree. I hit it dead center in the middle of the radiator and it caved in my bumper, radiator, and upper and lower radiator supports and it knocked my belt off and shattered the power steering pump pulley. I have already removed all the damaged parts with the exception of the lower radiator support which is welded on. Upon removal of the parts, I realized that the lower portion of the lower radiator support crossmember must have impacted the harmonic balancer and cracked it. Everything else in the engine looks fine and the subframe looks straight. The motor was still running fine after the incident (except for no accessories but I only drove it 500 yards home) Should I replace the harmonic balancer and keep going with the project or should I abandon it. I can get almost all the parts I would need from a junkyard with the exception of the lower radiator support crossmember.

Thanks,

Hoopty

If you are comfortable doing the work, I would say "go for it". Sites like Quadratec and Morris 4x4 can supply new versions of pretty much any part on the Cherokee and as you said, Junkyards are full of donor parts. Personally, I would try to bang that lower rad support out, replace the damaged parts and get that beast back on the road.....

Hi,

Last week I lost the rear end of my 2000 sport on a slick surface and overcompensated into a tree. I hit it dead center in the middle of the radiator and it caved in my bumper, radiator, and upper and lower radiator supports and it knocked my belt off and shattered the power steering pump pulley. I have already removed all the damaged parts with the exception of the lower radiator support which is welded on. Upon removal of the parts, I realized that the lower portion of the lower radiator support crossmember must have impacted the harmonic balancer and cracked it. Everything else in the engine looks fine and the subframe looks straight. The motor was still running fine after the incident (except for no accessories but I only drove it 500 yards home) Should I replace the harmonic balancer and keep going with the project or should I abandon it. I can get almost all the parts I would need from a junkyard with the exception of the lower radiator support crossmember.

Thanks,

Hoopty

I rearended a dump truck in my first XJ years ago. I hit a little higher than you did but ended up replacing fender, hood, front end, radiator, ac condenser, power steering pump, front panel and some other stuff that I can't remember anymore. It's a fair amount of work but it's satisfying when it's done. Besides, it's a good excuse to throw on an aftermarket bumper, winch, lift, lights, stroke the engine, build an exocage, chop the rearend, put 1ton axles on etc... hahaha

...it's a good excuse to throw on an aftermarket bumper, winch, lift, lights, stroke the engine, build an exocage, chop the rearend, put 1ton axles on etc... hahaha

There is something to be said about having that salvage title :cheers:

If you are not shy about the work, and have another vehicle to putt around in while you are doing said work... I say buy-back from insurance (if that is an option?) and use the excess funds to do hat xjsnake said.

You can buy a crossmember too, you just need a sawzall to get it. Cut the front ends of the frame horns off and then grind out the welds, then grind yours off and weld the new one in. Any damage to your frame horns? That can be difficult to repair if it's beyond a certain point. Pics?

No pics yet unfortunately but I will try and start taking some as I work. The frame horns appear to be fine and I was able to pull the lower radiator support back out pretty straight so I think I can put a radiator back on it. I may jus want to re-enforce it with some angle iron. The bumper mounts look okay too now. My main mission before I go to the junkyard is to replace my broken harmonic balancer and power steering pulley.

The other thing is I do not plan on replacing the a/c evaporator panel as my unit did not work at all anyway. Will this cause any other problems?

The other thing is I do not plan on replacing the a/c evaporator panel as my unit did not work at all anyway. Will this cause any other problems?

No. Get rid of all the A/C stuff under the hood & free up some room.

JIM.

The only challenge this should create is that you may need to find a new belt routing scheme (and a smaller belt) unless you can find an idler pully to take up the space.

I rearended a dump truck in my first XJ years ago. I hit a little higher than you did but ended up replacing fender, hood, front end, radiator, ac condenser, power steering pump, front panel and some other stuff that I can't remember anymore. It's a fair amount of work but it's satisfying when it's done. Besides, it's a good excuse to throw on an aftermarket bumper, winch, lift, lights, stroke the engine, build an exocage, chop the rearend, put 1ton axles on etc... hahaha

I did about the same in damage 3 years ago, only I played tag with a full size, lifted Bronco that was much higher than me...

n36618587_34872175_3714.jpg

Pretty much the same parts had to be replaced. My power steering pulley also shattered when the fan came crashing into it. Got everything fixed up and it's still going strong today. The fun part was jumping up and down on the hood when I got it home to flatten it out so I could open it!

. Got everything fixed up and it's still going strong today. The fun part was jumping up and down on the hood when I got it home to flatten it out so I could open it!

Mine's no longer with me but it's still on the road as well. And my hood wouldn't close as the latch was mangled so I had it bungie tied down for awhile... :laugh:

Here is a link http://www.eastwood.com/autobody/pa...ode=ga030140&gclid=CIidv870-asCFQ0CQAod3XA1nQ to Eastwoods site for panel removing tools. For very little monies, you can get a spot weld cutter and do the job correctly.

Panel repair:
Drill out the spots being careful not to drill out the base material.
Lightly gring the base to remove the paint.
Position and clamp the replacement part.
Plug (rosette) weld in the panel.
Grind excess weld if desired.

I have done this a zillion times primarily on 911 Porsches (wasn't always a Heep guy...) as the rocker panels rot out due to the oil lines running up to the front to the oil cooler. The grommets break down, water gets into the rocker and viola!, rust. This method although a bit time consuming will yield a lasting structural repair.

Just make sure the distance between the frame rails is correct.

Find the center point of each rail and mark the center.
Measure the distance. Dimension is 770mm +/- 1.5mm Center to Center.
Adjust the opening prior to installing the crossmember.

An alternative method is to use the replacement crossmember as a guide. Check the front frame horns to make sure they are straight.

"What one man builds, another can improve upon"

My cousin did the exact same thing and ruined his Jeep in an accident 2 weeks after he got it and broke the power steering pump, mechanical fan pulley, header panel, radiator, grill, lower crossmember or radiator support. My Granddad walked into a dodge dealership and they had a factory stamped front crossmember they sold him and against my advice they simply bolted it in and didnt weld it in like originally. Got all the rest of the parts used off a Jeep being parted out including the air bags and inertia module and painted the panels the correct color. We saved one more XJ from the salvage yard and we are very proud of that. So GO FOR IT! Save that thing!

I am happy to report that after 25 some hours spent between the junkyard and my driveway that the vehicle is back on the road and reporting for service. The only other thing I may do is buy the a/c delete pulley because the compressor is and never was functional and the evaporator was turned into a taco from the accident. Time to purchase a daily driver and upgrade my lift.

Thanks again,

Hoopty

I am happy to report that after 25 some hours spent between the junkyard and my driveway that the vehicle is back on the road and reporting for service. The only other thing I may do is buy the a/c delete pulley because the compressor is and never was functional and the evaporator*condenser was turned into a taco from the accident. Time to purchase a daily driver and upgrade my lift.

Thanks again,

Hoopty

congrats on saving another one from the scrap heap!!!

Back