• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stalling

pokeyxj

NAXJA Forum User
Went wheeling in southern Colorado. My 96 Xj stalled after about 2 hours of hiway driving. It would restart, then die right away. Cleaned the IAC, Jeep started up and ran fine on the hiway to Durango, Co.
Next day, Jeep starts normally, runs great to trail head and on trail. Finally dies on slow assent to 13,800 foot peak. Jeep restarts, ran fine rest of day. Day three: Jeep runs great for several hours on hiway and trail. Dies as we re-enter town (Durango). Re-started after 15 minutes with hood up, scratching head. Ran fine for the rest of the trip until on the way home, after 200 miles hiway the check engine light came on. Showed a "cylinder 6 misfire". Three weeks later, have replaced plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Jeep runs OK mostly but will surge and hesitate at times. Can anyone help? I'm frustrated. Thought about CPS but not sure if it would cause these problems.

I have similar issues and have experienced similar surging and stalling as you. Changed the IAC, cap, and rotor last night. Stalled this morning and would not start until it cooled for 15 or so minutes. Stalled again after that.

I'm buying a mopar CPS tonight and will install it. Search on the forum shows our symptoms are typical with a bad CPS.

There are 2 camps of XJ owners.

1. Ones that HAVE replaced their crankshaft position sensor

2. Others that WILL BE replacing their crankshaft position sensor if they own their Jeep long enough.

Back