• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crankshaft, timing chain or ....Video

Finally got done removing the timing cover, here is a video and some pics with alot of questions....(oh, 147k mile on it)

Video,

Looks like a lot of slack to me....i'll go ahead and replace it.

TimingChainCover1.jpg

Sludge!

TimingChain1.jpg

That looks like a lot of sludge to me, or is just normal?

TimingChainHole1.jpg

Cleaned!
Is the hole in the pic normal?

Any advice and suggestions while i'm replacing the timing chain?

Appreciate all comments and suggestion ....need to decide if i should invest some $erious money in lift kit, etc......
:thumbup:

I am not an expert by any means, but IIRC, mine had no such play in my 87 or 89 jeeps when I was replacing the harmonic balancer on one and the AW4 on the other. And my 87 has 272,000 miles on it. I would say it may be time to replace the timing chain for sure (but I am not an expert on timing chains!!!). I think it is typical to change the gears at the same time.

judging soley by the stills, I say do the chain and gears.

I am not an expert by any means, but IIRC, mine had no such play in my 87 or 89 jeeps when I was replacing the harmonic balancer on one and the AW4 on the other. And my 87 has 272,000 miles on it. I would say it may be time to replace the timing chain for sure (but I am not an expert on timing chains!!!). I think it is typical to change the gears at the same time.

judging soley by the stills, I say do the chain and gears.

Thanks for the replies.
I'll be replacing the chain and gears but should i be concern about the sludge?
Looking at the timing cover, it looks really bad (147k mile but runs good).

Replace the chain and gears. Also, change out the cam bolt for one with the spring and pin setup. As for the sludge, that isn't bad its just mild build up. You will probably want to replace the balancer seal on the timing cover as well. That hole in the block is normal.

no play is acceptable. Watch the video again.
Some play in the timing chain is normal, even in a new set. But that is excessive.

The OP is able to move the H/B by hand (BTW, the engine is otherwise intact). It shouldn't move at all.
Its odd that it is that easy to move the crank rods and pistons should be providing more resistance one would think.

K, will start looking for an engine (1999 Cherokee) on Craigslist.

Would any I6 engine work or just Cherokee's?

Thx again for being so helpful.NAXJA

Its odd that it is that easy to move the crank rods and pistons should be providing more resistance one would think.

I was just thinking the same thing, the crankshaft itself should not be that easy to turn, it takes considerable effort (torque) with leverage to turn mine. Makes me wonder if it has other problems like bad crankshaft to rod bearings, or very low compression....

K, will start looking for an engine (1999 Cherokee) on Craigslist.

Would any I6 engine work or just Cherokee's?

Thx again for being so helpful.NAXJA

If it runs good why replace it? I would just do the timing chain and gear set (and bolt) and put on a new Harmonic balance and front seal, unless some one knows more reasons why to junk it? You said below "147K but still runs good", and 147 K is not a lot for these engines, if well maintained.

Last edited:
Back