• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Complete Exhaust System

BotakBeng

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to replace my complete exhaust system and would appreciate if i can get some ideas.
(1999 Cherokee 4.0L AW4 HP30 C8.25)

These are some parts that i have sort of decided based on what i read.
Header
>APN or Ebay

Down Pipe
>(Walker?)
Can't find any info...really need your suggestion please.

Catalytic Converter
>Non Cali Jeep High Flow Cat.....

Cat back
>Dynomax 17340

I would prefer a system without welding pls.

I may have gotten the part's name wrong .....newbie here.
Appreciate all comments and suggestions.

Have a local exhaust shop build you a custom, mendrel-bent down pipe with a flex pipe on the end. Then to universal cat (performance-curve.com) they also have a cat-back system. Or you can have the exhaust shop do it for you. The Super Turbo kit is not all that great. A decent deal if you can get the 75$ rebate.

Thx for the reply.
Shops here in Las Vegas are a PITA to deal and aren't cheap at all.

I keep hearing this $75 rebate but can't fine them on the Web :compwork:

Any thoughts on the header?

Last edited:
I have the Dynomax set-up on my '98. Super easy to install. Sounds great. Not at all bothersome on long trips. I recommend it.

The rest of the stuff you're looking at I can't comment on.

Also running the dynomax, not at all loud on the highway, most of the sound is going to be under throttle from 1000-3000 apprx. A suggestion though is to use stainless exhaust clamp, the wide band style. Greatly improves the sealing of two pipes.

On my 00,I put a banks header on and used the Walker head pipe 55277,Magnaflow converter and the dynomax exhaust. Everything fit good no issues. Before anyone says anything my was a early 00 with federal emissions. Same set up as a 99.

No yet...should be Rough Country LA 4.5" kit within a month.
Why did you ask?

At stock height, there's not much room for the downpipe (hence the kink), and the front driveshaft yoke will make room. Once you're above stock height, you don't have that issue, or at least I don't.

I started with the Dynomax catback, then later did the intake and APN manifold swap, Maremont downpipe (won't recommend), and a Walker cat, replacing the SuperTurbo muffler with a smaller "turbo" muffler, and adding a short piece of pipe to make up the difference. All the clamps have since rusted away/broken, including the rear hanger from the Dynomax kit. Replaced all clamps with SS band clamps. Had to have a shop tweak the downpipe, as it was banging against the crossmember.

Exhausts are covered in pretty good detail around here; I'd do a lot of Google searching (add site:naxja.org to your searches) and reading. There's a lot of good advice floating around, and I could have saved money and time, had I not ignored some of it.

If you're looking for best setup, have an exhaust shop mandrel bend you a downpipe. The Walker is crush bent which restricts flow.

Have a local exhaust shop build you a custom, mendrel-bent down pipe with a flex pipe on the end. Then to universal cat (performance-curve.com) they also have a cat-back system. Or you can have the exhaust shop do it for you. The Super Turbo kit is not all that great. A decent deal if you can get the 75$ rebate.

^this

support your local exhaust shop. in my experience they have been cheaper and the end result is better.

^this

support your local exhaust shop. in my experience they have been cheaper and the end result is better.

The only problem with this is that as of 9 months ago, there is no one in Vegas that has a mandrel bending machine. I called every place in the phone book and, unfortunately, no one has one. If someone knows of one, please let us know.

if your stock one isn't rusyed use it with a new end on it (the part that bolys to the header) and that should get rid of the crimp in it which will make it perfectly fine unless you have a built stroker.

Hee is my expierence with the magnaflow kit...

Exhaust came today, less than 48hr from order being placed, and only cost me $11 for shipping.

So, I decided to do the install rather than work on a paper I have due soon. Install went fairly cleanly, I put the XJ on ramps in opposing corners (left rear, right front) to get max flex out of my stock suspension.

2011-04-01164736.jpg

2011-04-01164746.jpg

2011-04-01164720.jpg

mad driveway flexin' y0!

Removal was simple, and for the first time EVER I didn't have much hassle removing a rusty exhaust clamp.

2011-04-01164844.jpg

With the axle crossed up I could easily fanagle the entire exhaust out of the Jeep, no need for the saws-all. I laid out the new tailpipe next to the old one to check for routing issues, they both follow the same exact path over the axle, so I went ahead with the swap.

2011-04-01170227.jpg

2011-04-01170221.jpg

2011-04-01170215.jpg

Didn't get many pics of the install process as it was moving way to quick. Once the Jeep was on the ramps, it only took 32min from start to finish to swap out the system. Sound is a little different, sounds smooth and VERY quiet. Because it's a Walker turbo, I know it will break in to a bit louder and deep tone. I took it out on the road to check for leaks, and it sounded good during WOT from a stop. SOTP power increase is there, but not very much at all.

Clearance above the axle on the 2.5 system is close, but still enough to get by. Remember this is with a 100% stock suspension with tired rear springs and all. I will be getting a bit more room when I do the lift in the months to come. I do need to adjust the tail-pipe a bit, and figure out how to modify the rear hanger to elevate the exit an inch or two.

2011-04-01175802.jpg

2011-04-01175819.jpg

2011-04-01175927.jpg

2011-04-01175750.jpg

2011-04-01175911.jpg

All in all, not bad for a $40 investment! Only the best for my $2000 hoopty!
$40 was after the $75 rebate, which is no longer available.

I have created a turn-down, and will be welding that on when ever I get a chance... hope that is this weekend. If you get the correct exhaust for your year, unlike what I did, it will be a bolt on affair from the cat back. I just HATE the chrome tip of the 97~ and the z-bend of the ~96.

2011-09-24200842.jpg

Back