• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crank position sensor question

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all. I have a '99 4.0 auto XJ that randomly dies or won't start now and then. I need to replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor, and I recall reading on here that not all CPS manufacturers were created equal.

I can't find the thread that stated which ones to avoid and which one to buy. Anyone remember this information?

When I was doing some online shopping for a replacement, some sites showed one for an auto and another for a manual, but none had one for an auto in stock. I thought the sensor was the same, regardless of transmission. Anyone know if there's a difference? Thanks in advance for the info.

Please?

The recent thread I think had most people saying the dealer is the best/only place to get a crank position sensor from. I recently bought one from napa and haven't had an issue with it so far, normally I like to go big $$ on this type of sensor but I was in a bind and needed it. If you want the best, go to the dealer no doubt other wise if you need it now I say napa. If you can wait, rockauto and pick something mid to high price range and it should be as good as napa at least.

All opinions.

When I was doing some online shopping for a replacement, some sites showed one for an auto and another for a manual, but none had one for an auto in stock.

If this is the case you need to find a better place to buy your parts.

The CPS should be bought from Jeep or from NAPA. The cheap "lifetime warranty" ones from Advance/IdiotZone/O'Reilly are the sketchy ones to be avoided.

Wells, SMP, or BWD manufactured in either US or Mexico will work and are second only to Mopar Factory parts. Any other generic units from China are no bueno.

NAPA has two different "Cranshaft Sensors" that they offer. One made by Mileage Plus Electrical for $81.99 and another made by Echlin Ignition Parts for $99.99. Will any of these be a safe bet, or should I pony up and go to the dealer?

NAPA has two different "Cranshaft Sensors" that they offer. One made by Mileage Plus Electrical for $81.99 and another made by Echlin Ignition Parts for $99.99. Will any of these be a safe bet, or should I pony up and go to the dealer?

When I bought mine they told me to just go with the cheaper one and they honestly felt it was the same sensor under 2 different brands. I trusted them, they could have told me go with the more expensive one so I dunno. I would check where they are made, mine was made in mexico I believe.

Back