• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting rid of SKIM. 98 XJ I6 AW-4.

BLU-125

NAXJA Forum User
Some background......all XJs sent to the land of Oz were fitted with a security system. I have a few Jeeps, but I have an early '98 build which I am building for off road.

A bit over a year ago I took it to Cape York (6000km round trip), and tried to give it swimming lessons. Had water up to the arm rests, so it actually got a bit damp.

Got home, and about a month (or two) later, it stopped starting, (rather than started stopping), so I trailered it home. Replaced the ECU & eventually the SKIM module, which meant a new key. (Luckily I had a donor, so it wasn't the end of the world.) As I didn't plan to change every lock barrell in the car, I taped the correct key to the SKIM module and kept using the original key.

Worked fine until a few days ago.........

Now, randomly, the Security Key light comes on when I am driving, and occasionally it won't start, ie. the light stays on when you turn the key and allows the I6 to crank but not fire.

Now I know SKIM was an option which few took up in the land that invented Rock & Roll, so I am hoping someone has an ECU without SKIM that I can buy. My original ECU has the bar code P56041 535AD T3347.

HELP!

I am looking my spare 98 PCM. It is for the AW4 equipped Heep/4.0. Figure the shipping weight to be 1 Kilogram (it weighs in at 850ish) and also figure how you would like it shipped and it is yours for the shipping costs. I obtained it as a diagnostic when I was chasing my Cruise Control issue. PM me for details on contacting me directly.

PCM Information
MOTOROLA S/N 15B3957POFXK
CHYRSLER P/N P56041 534AF
MODULE S/N TEM1228POFXK JBSAC

THis PCM is for Federal Emmision equipped vehicles which means you will need to have an O2 Sensor at the manifold connection and one after the Cat Converter. Otherwise, it will throw emission codes. Do not know what emission hardware you folks have so you will need to verify that it will work for your emission equipment. I do know that many of the export Heeps did not ship wih any emission controls.

Only thing I will ask for payment on the part is that you do a kindness for someone else some time in the future.

You need a PCM that hasn't been connected to an XJ with a SKIM module. Disconnect or remove the skim module, then replace your PCM with a factory reman unit. Done.

That easy.

You need a PCM that hasn't been connected to an XJ with a SKIM module. Disconnect or remove the skim module, then replace your PCM with a factory reman unit. Done.

That easy.

It can either be done this way, or you can send your existing PCM out to have it flashed and the SKIM programming removed(as well as removing the skim module). I had to do this when I swapped the engine in my wife's car.

Received free PCM today from o-gauge-steamer......and it works perfectly. Thank you for trusting a member of this Forum, and I hope you received your postage outlay.

Covered the postage ($45 and change I think...) and the fuel to get to the Post Office and back!

Glad it resolved the issue. Also glad the PCM is not cluttering up my garage anymore...

Back