• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mech gauge install

kdub41

NAXJA Forum User
So I wanted to have a more accurate reading for my water temp so i bought an eqquis 2 1/16 mechanical gauge with a 3/8 npt fitting and then bought a couple of fittings from nappa and installed them into my heater hose and sure enough about a 8 to 10 degree difference :)

aefe260a-340e-d000.jpg

aefe260a-3425-f70a.jpg

It would be nice to know if the new gauge is calibrated correctly.
If you know someone with an accurate infrared thermometer, shoot the new sensor and the Factory temp sender and see if there is a difference in readings between them and the mechanical gauge.
I check the calibration on thermometers, thermostats and temperature sensors using a pan of boiling water.
The temperature of boiling water does change according to altitude and barometric pressure. You can us a calculator to find the boiling temperature at your location.
http://www.csgnetwork.com/h2oboilcalc.html
Your local barometric pressure can easily be found online.

It's just hard to use an ir gun because metal transfers heat so u can't get a 100% correct reading, and I have a nice ryobi temp gun (80$) but when my jeep read 202 my mech gauge said 196

you know the only reason you can get a temp reading off the motor at all is BECAUSE metal transfers heat, right?

Either you are using the wrong words or you don't know what you are talking about.

It wouldn't surprise me that the 8-10 degrees temperature difference is because the sending unit is not directly in the path of flowing water. That T pushes the sender out of the direct water path. Works fine for pressure, but you should probably check that the sender is long enough that it is in the path of the water.

David Bricker / SYR

i havent tested the sensors yet and yes i used the wrong word i didn't mean transfers heat haha. I just meant to say that the coolant temperature could be hotter since you are not reading direct coolant temp when you use an ir gun. It is probably only a couple degree difference though. And yes the temp sender is def. long enough i do know that. I would rather have a mech gauge because they are more accurate i believe, and plus its in a good location i think.

It would be nice to know if the new gauge is calibrated correctly.
If you know someone with an accurate infrared thermometer, shoot the new sensor and the Factory temp sender and see if there is a difference in readings between them and the mechanical gauge.

I recently bought an infrared thermometer and was looking to test it out on the jeep, so the best place to shoot is on the actual temperature sender? Like on the exposed threads or what? Dumb question but I have been curious the proper place to hit with the red dot.

With the IR thermometers, the further away you are from what you're measuring, the bigger the area the thermometer is looking at.

Back