• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn, Click, DEAD

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
88 MJ 4.0

Battery reads 12.6 v
Starter relay to ground 12.6 v
Starter to ground 12.6 v

Turn key, relay clicks, then all power dead. No click, nothin', but I still get 12.6v all around.

Is 12.6v not enough to turn it over.

Starter or Ignition switch??? Both of unknown age.

88 MJ 4.0

Battery reads 12.6 v
Starter relay to ground 12.6 v
Starter to ground 12.6 v

Turn key, relay clicks, then all power dead. No click, nothin', but I still get 12.6v all around.

Is 12.6v not enough to turn it over.

Starter or Ignition switch??? Both of unknown age.
12.6. Volts is enough to start. Sounds silly but have you pulled off batt conections and cleaned them? A very similar situation happend to me eventually I found it.bad/dirty connection may show proper voltage but when the draw starts it is resistance.

Also when my ignition switch went out(while I was in a drive thru) I had no power to any of the key on power accecories I.e. power windows,radio,dash,etc...

12.6. Volts is enough to start. Sounds silly but have you pulled off batt conections and cleaned them? A very similar situation happend to me eventually I found it.bad/dirty connection may show proper voltage but when the draw starts it is resistance.

I've cleaned and shined up the terminals, connectors and checked the cables. Voltage is the same at starter relay and starter as is the battery.
Grounds are shiny and tight. When I turn the key to ON, all the bells and whistles come on, but when I turn it to START everything dies.

I put it on the charger for about 4 hrs. Same voltage, charger needle bottomed out...didn't move. Click, turn, dead!

Also when my ignition switch went out(while I was in a drive thru) I had no power to any of the key on power accecories I.e. power windows,radio,dash,etc...

I HAD it started and running the other day and it just died on me at the store. Just like that. I got out, futzed with the wiring under the hood and tweaked the key, it started right up. Got home, hasn't started since. Click, turn, dead.

When I changed out my ignition there was definitely burnt up like there was a short.sounds like I would change out the ignition switch.only cost about 18 bucks, but what a pain.you figure out ways to contort your body just to get a good position.good luck .

The same thing was happening to me for a while. Seemed random. All I would do is disconnect and reconnect the positive battery cable and it would start up.

will it crank if you jump the terminals on the starter?

I 2nd that. Try jumping the starter solenoid. Just turn your ignition so all of your bells and whistles are on, then hop out and cross the terminals with a screwdriver. Lol. I have to do it at least twice a week with my Jeep.

I've had the brushes wear down inside my starter, turn the key to start and nothing. I've also had one brush not make contact and the starter sucks down the amps but doesn't move (lights dim). It made a sound like frying bacon, but never spun up the starter.

It may be something else, but starter brushes are my go to when the starter refuses to work, then the neutral safety switch.
Tapping in the side of the started with a hammer, will often get you a few more starts on worn our brushes. Trying the shifter in neutral instead of park and maybe jiggling the shifter may give you some contact through the neutral safety switch.

My last go around was actually the battery, one cell internally was acting up, it had about the same voltage as yours, but wouldn't pass enough amperage to get the job done. It also messed with my IAC, the IAC got flaky because of the bad battery, the motor would stall when I let my foot of the gas pedal sporadically and sometimes wouldn't start (with the starter turning over) without giving a little gas pedal to get some air to the motor. Since the new battery, both the starter and IAC are doing fine. If it starts with a jump, it may be a bad or poor cell in your battery.

I've had the oil leak from my oil filter adapter "O" rings onto my starter and find it's way inside. Enough to cover the brushes in oil and cause iffy satrts.

I've also driven through muddy water and had it coat the brushes, they dry and the muddy water leaves a crust on the brushes. Sometimes just cleaning the brushes is enough.

I've replaced a couple of starter relays, one was full of mud, the other full of rust.

I've never replaced a starter, I've still got my original from 1987, but I have swapped out more than a few sets of brushes.

Just some ideas.

Had this problem many times, always either been loose battery terminals or the starter. Give the started a good bang with a hammer while you are turning the key, this USUALLY works the first few times.

Had this problem many times, always either been loose battery terminals or the starter. Give the started a good bang with a hammer while you are turning the key, this USUALLY works the first few times.

Nothing is loose on the battery. 12.6v at the relay. BEFORE and AFTER the relay it's still 12.6v.

Yeah, I gave it 3-4 whacks with the back end of a big screwdriver, no change. I've used that on the XJ and KNEW I had to replace the starter.

I have a new ignition switch in my bag o' tricks, so I'll give that a shot and see what happens. Any tips on the ignition switch? You do hafta be a contortionis to get in there. Where does the rod go?

That would make things easier...and knowing where the rod goes. Switch replaced. Battery on charger overnight.

If it was the CPS it would crank over...it just wouldn't fire/start. It's dead in the water til I get home from work today to try the ign switch. Putting the ignition switch in was a Bi(insert negative experience)tch. I wish I had a monkey that could turn a wrench...no, I mean a REAL monkey.

If the ignition switch doesn't do it I'll pull the starter...where I should have STARTED.

Have you tried checking the batt voltage while cranking?

I have had a couple that would show charged, but drop to 6v when cranked

Back