• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Filler plug to t-case stripped

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
So I thought I might change my t-case fluid today. Crawl under the jeep and get ready to start work. Well it looks like the shop that had my jeep a few months ago that had changed the fluid almost stripped out hex that goes onto the filler plug. Well they pretty much had. I throw my hex on there and give it just a little pressure and hex just spins and plug does not. So The hex on the filler plug it stripped. I was able to loosen the drain plug just fine. What do I do now? Because theres no way to get the dam thing out is there?

See if you can stick a magnet to it.

IIRC, the plugs on my NP231 and NV241 are all steel.

Plug should be steel. I had the same problem on my first XJ and drilled through the plug. Used heavy grease to trap the shavings. Then I tapped the hoe and used s bolt as a new plug. now I have a welder and recommend welding a bolt or hex to it.

well I have a welder as well. So Ill prob just weld my hex tool or a nut to the plug it self. More likely a nut, as I can use the middle of the nut as a plug weld onto the plug. I think that would work. Ill try it tomorrow after work.

If you dont have a welder you can use one of these to get the plug out.

I use them all the time at work when i have to remove stripped plugs.

Re-fill through the Speedo gear opening and call it good.

Grind a 1/2" long bolt to fit into the rounded out hex, weld the bolt to the plug.

Back