• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lifting with stock control arms?

XJ longhouse

NAXJA Forum User
i got a jeep for free a little while ago, and got a few parts together cheap, got rock krawler front coils 5.5" and rubicon express rears 5.5",

was wondering if anyone has ever ran coils that large with stock controll arms, and how its held up

i dont plan on wheeling it hard till i get my long arm sent, but i would like to get it rolling around, any thoughts concerns or comment

rig is for off road play, but still streetible, not daily driver

Re: lifting with stock controll arms?

so... youre gonna throw 5.5" springs in a jeep and nothing else?

it wont drive well at all.. good luck safely moving over 30mph

Sure it will work, wont be the greatest ride or setup ever.

Steering angle will be an issue, it was for me, 5.5" in the front would only steer in one direction without a drop pitman arm. Also the track bar will be too short causing the FL spring to hit the track bar bracket. Drill a hole in the track bar bracket on the axle just to the right of the original hole, it's not the best way of doing things but its a cheap out.

i would only consider this on a farm beater... and in the end, it wont work well, and will self destruct, costing you money you SHOULD HAVE spent on a proper lift...

BUT, you could cut those 5.5" springs down to the 3" area, and then you could do this a lot safer... at 3", you wouldnt have the issues of 5.5 with steering, trackbar, or castor. The redrilling method YuuuuuuP just posted... is ok at 3", at 5.5, i very much doubt it will be enough, without running the body-side track bar joint threaded all the way out.

long story short, dont do this. PLEASE dont take it on the road if you do. it wont handle highway speeds safely, let alone well.

Back