• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Patching Transmission Lines! Need Help!

Miller88

NAXJA Forum User
I was under the Cherokee the other day playing with my front shock bolts. Need both new bolts AND shocks!

Anyway, I noticed that at some point when I had the XJ airborne, it came down and the right UCA crushed my transmission lines (The 15000 pound cooler ... really doesn't do much when there's nothing going to it!).

Money is a bit tight at the moment and I really don't have the time, money or space to run new transmission lines and play around with the so-called quick disconnects.

Can I patch the section of transmission tubing/line with a 3/8'' transmission tube / fuel line?

What's the Outer diameter of the transmission line?

Cut the hoses with a tubing cutter, not a hacksaw. You can either flare the ends and put on a flare fitting and a hose barb, or just slide the hose in there a ways and clamp it. You may feel better about double clamping.

My XJ has just rubber hose from about the oil pan, forward. I have no quick-discos...it's all rubber.

I had to replace one of my trans lines about a month ago..it really was pretty easy and the line was only $30 at oreillys. Its probably easier and cheaper to use a rubber hose..but id feel way more comfortable with an actual transmission line hooked up down there.

Cooler Lines:

From/To Tranny

trans001-1.jpg

From the tranny to the cooler.

Front.jpg

Radiator heat exchanger bypassed, can easily plumbed back in.

Left side, metal line from tranny
Middle, brass flare fitting with hose barbs (and 1 wire trans. temp sender)
Right, all rubber from there

Contact with suspension parts won't crimp the rubber hose.

This has worked for me for years without leaking or breaking.

Last edited:
I used compression fittings on the hardline with a hose barb, hose, and clamps. Works fine. The cooler lines do not see tremendous pressure.

I cut them off about parallel with the oil filter and ran 3/8" hose up and over the engine and along the fender by the air filter. Didn't want them getting smashed again.

My next jeep I converted to a standard so I don't have to worry about this anymore.

Back