• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OME vs Rough Country (yes really)

Tecknique2007

NAXJA Forum User
I searched for this question or a similar one, found nothing. If another this lift vs this lift thread makes you mad, ha ha good! Getting ready to abuse my credit card and replacing my sagging, ultra worn suspension. I like DPG's 3.5" kit with OME springs, shocks & a JKS track bar + a few other goodies. I like that OME has a reputation that goes back decades. BUT, a Rough Country 4.5" long arm kit is a couple hundred bucks more. And I mean, come on, all the cool kids have long arms! So my question is basically, is OME that awesome that I should get their kit with way less parts? Or should I just go for the LA kit from Rough Country? This rig is my daily driver, I live in Colorado, lots of snow driving, washboarded forest roads, mainly trails, not alot of rock crawling in my future. I just need some ground clearance and a sweet ride. Thanks for your time fellas.

OME>RC any day. Love my OME lift. Even on 32's with short arms my rides better than my stock XJ does.

OME = win

X2 on OME and DPG Offroad. Rough Country springs aren't too bad quality wise, but their bushings are terrible. OME is also one of the best riding suspensions out there.

Its called ROUGH Country for a reason lol. If it rode super smooth itd be false advertising, then i wouldnt trust them. :jester:

Seriously though, i had a RC 4.5" kit and it rode rough, yeah, but cost less then OME and did the same thing. Ive always thought OME was overpriced, then again ive never had their stuff so i cant really talk. All i know is RC is a good brand and they make a good product. If you can get a LA kit for just a couple hundred more than a basic short arm kit, id go LA and not look back.

Go long arms and enjoy the ride.I have installed both short and long arms from RC and they are great setups.Yes i have a RC 6.5 short arm on mine, NEVER spilled my soda yet when on the road or the trail and having fun.

I installed the DPG 3.5 OME hybrid kit you're looking at. It was a breeze to install three weeks ago. This was my first lifted XJ--really nothing to comapre it to. Road manners are better than stock. I don't notice the rear sway bar missing at all. The larger bumps rattle a bit but it's the interior of my Jeep that rattles and not the chassis. I made the best choice for my DD even through it did cost a bit more $$.

Had a OME lift (RRO 5") for two years and have to say it rode great. I recently ditched the OME coils so I could get rid of the spacers, but it rode smooth and I have no complaints other than it wasn't tall enough.

You'll do more with the LA kit, great on road handling has a lot to do with control arm angle, having your lower arms parallel with the road will allow the axle to move up and down freely to better absorb the bumps. I'm running RC front springs on my xj with skyjacker hydro shocks, very smooth on street. My buddy has a RC 4" kit on his rubicon and it doesn't ride even close to as smooth on the pavement, he's using RC's standard shock, go with a better shock for on road quality, oooooor just run the cheap shocks and go beat the snot out of it on the trail, its a jeep the ride sucks anyway Haha!

Hey.., slept out at the 4 Corners Monument in my model 17 Cherokee. Hmmm. What year is your vehicle? Do you really want to go to 3.5"? Go to ARBUSA and look at the offering for coils, leafs, and shocks for whatever vehicle you have. Then, you must use their method to provide you a list of retailers/dealers. I spent time with them on the phone indicating that I wanted to replace my stock suspension with H.D. So, I ended up with a 2" lift over stock basically. I also 'cut' out the rear sway bar, as it limits articulation.., especially if you are getting out of a snow ditch. In additon to the question of 'sway', add some front sway bar disconnects, and then your rig will be 'mo-'betta balanced. OME products are 'tuned' to each other, i.e., depending on which level you wish. For me, the washboards, potholes, etc., are mellowed out, but the ride is a bit hammering. Still, it's all very solid. (You can discuss a Caddy ride with them if that's what you want). Consider obtaining a better track bar over stock, and a steering box brace. You won't regret obtaining a solid suspension system. My track bar, JKS discos, front end bushings, and brace came from kevinsoffroad.com in order to both upgrade, and to cure death wobble. As my DD, I do not drive in competition.., like down in Baja. Anyway, I can do 29, or 30 inch tires without more work.

(If you order from an outlet in Wa. State, be sure to obtain a tax exemption form from the state government, and be prepared to send either a fax, or mailing a photo copy of your driver's license as well to the dealer).

Back