• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 wont rev past 2000rpm in gear.. HELP!!

Spike_akers

NAXJA Forum User
yesterday at work i was running a track hoe to dig out red clay to build a pad for a shop on my bosses farm. at the end of the day my boss rolls up and bets me $50 my little xj cant make it to the top of the trail where the track hoe was (it had been raining hard and it turned it into a huge soupy red clay mess) and having all the confidence in the world in my xj, i accepted. i hit the hill hard and made it half way up before losing momentum so i backed down and tried again, only this time it felt very sluggish. it was revving to 2000rpm and wouldnt go any higher.. i backed down turned it off, and waited a minute or two, started it up, and it felt fine again.. hit the hill and made it to the top.. earning my $50.. but i was still worried with the way the trans had felt. its never done this before and i haven't really tried to make it do it again... its a stock 92 xj with the AW4 with 159,000 miles.. engine revved fine when in neutral.. i dont know if it will happen again.. but i figure i should see if anyone knew what the problem was since ill be lifting it in the next month or so... any help is appreciated.. i'd hate to spend all that money on my lift and other mods and then have the trany blow up the next day..

When I had that problem, it was a bad TPS on the TCU side, but mine is a Renix, yours is the HO, which does not have a double sided TPS. I would check the Trans fluid level, and check the TPS anyway from idle to WOT for a solid, steady rising voltage, power on, engine off test. If the voltage goes flat at the last half, or jumps (note you need to use an analog volt meter for this), around, the TPS is going bad.

Did you have it in first gear the whole time, 4wd?

Last edited:
I also have that problem when my floor mat slides up under the gas peddle! LOL:D

my tps is brand new.. ..

Test the TPS. TPS from Advance/IdiotZone/O'Reilly have been proven many times to be out of specification or failed right out of the box. You should get your TPS and CPS from JEEP or NAPA.

Using the correct Dexron-III/Mercon transmission fluid and is it full ?

ok. so my trans fluid is full. it has a slight burnt smell to it so i guess i'll be changing that.. it did it again to me today driving through some trails at work.. once again, turned it off, and back on fine.. so i guess it must be the tps??

I have had weird shifting problems that went away with just replacing old, slightly burn, off color fluid. Try the fluid first, in fact 2-3 transfusions, at about 3 quarts each time. I w always test my TPS, and other sensor, before I condemn them.

I have had weird shifting problems that went away with just replacing old, slightly burn, off color fluid. Try the fluid first, in fact 2-3 transfusions, at about 3 quarts each time. I w always test my TPS, and other sensor, before I condemn them.
the fact that turning it off fixes it instantly, it really seems electrical.. but i'll do what you've recommended and see.. hopefully it wont happen again..

Turning it off, also cools the Transmission and fluid down some.

Back