• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 knuckle question

Nuke Proof

NAXJA Forum User
Well it looks like my new job is going to work out and funds are going to be A LOT better.

Instead of throwing good money at my D30, I want to swap in a D44. I've got a couple of questions.

I know about Currie Rock Jocks, but I am looking for more a factory housing that has brackets welded on. Does anyone know where I can find this?

Also, I have seen some bolt in, but you have to use your outer knuckles. One thing I want to get rid of is the unitized bearings. Is there a bolt on knuckle that has the same wheel pattern and hubs that is not the warn kit that limits tire size to <33".

I did search and couldn't find anything other than people talking about late 70's Ford housings.

Thanks

Wagoneer d44 with tnt truss welded on is a bolt in axle... Or ballistic tj/xj coil and link brackets. I'm not sure of one that is a direct bolt in though. I'm sure there is. But I went with the ballistic mounts oon my 44 and it was super easy swap. I've seen reid knuckles that bolt onto the 30 and use d44 spindles hubs etc. I know you said you didn't wanna mess with the 30. But its an idea for getting rid of the unit bearing. Sorry I'm not much help....

I am using the Reid knuckles on my Hp 44 build. They are sweet & have a ton of BEEF. I also like the 4 stud for hi steer. I had one of are Fab shops here in Ree-Noo build a
truss & all the brackets. Good luck with the build & post any pics if you have any..

on the contrary, you guys are a lot of help. Basically, I want to get rid of the D30 and I want it to take its ridiculously expensive unitized bearings and non disco hubs with it...lol

I've noticed that a lot of the retrofit D44's don't come with outer knuckles and hubs and say that you have to use your factory D30 outers. Pretty much the only choices I know I have are to use 8 lug outers or the D30 outer, neither are really appealing to me. Is there another option?

EDIT: I figured out my real question. I am looking for D44 hubs that have the Jeep bolt pattern (5x4.5" I think?)
Thanks again

Last edited:
8 lug? You don't needa go 8 lug. You can go 5 bolt. That's what I'm running. Look on mr,n"s d44 pages. I'm pretty sure I saw how to change a d44 to 5x4.5. I could be wrong though. The only other option I can think of is wheel adapter/spacer?

Sorry I ment 5 bolt as in factory ford 5 bolt. Not 8. Or 5x4.5. Sorry for the confusion. I would either do the wheel adapter or change the rear bolt pattern to match the front. I swapped both diffs out of the same vehicle so mine just worked I didn't need to mess with the bolt pattern.

Copied right off Mr.N's page "Swapping the Knuckles Out for high steer and 5 on 4.5" wheel bolt pattern: Dodge only

I've read you can do this with knuckles out Dodge parts with certain years, I have not seen this done with proof.X If you know how to do this please contact me, see below.X From what I've read you need knuckles out of a 1/2 ton Dodge from 1975-80 but they have no locking hubs.X Maybe it's a fulltime 4x4 axle?".

Its worth looking into. But you don't have manual hubs then. Wheel adapters or change the rear pattern.

Thanks. Yeah from what I understand the outers from the Dodge of those years are the same as the D30. Unitized bearing which is a good design and I'm not opposed to it, but it it $$$$ to replace and the drivers side on my current D30 is shot.

I just need to keep searching for a D44 hub/spindle/knuckle that's 5 on 4.5". I'm going to call Currie tomorrow and see what they have to offer.

Thanks again Zuc.

you know after I said it out loud (figuratively speaking of course) I realized that the D30 knuckle and bearing is not weak and the unitized bearing is actually a very reliable assembly, so that leaves me to the cost of the bearings (about $90 each). That itself is a high price, but how long do they last? Mine have 240k on them and only one is shot.

So instead of searching more, I think I'll stick to the D30 knuckles and get a bolt in D44 housing.

Thanks again Zuc

i forget who it was, but someone adapted D44 knuckles to fit their D30. the idea was to gain high steer and lose the unit bearings, gaining lock outs. it was in the advanced fab section if i remember correctly. ill search, if i find it, ill be sure to post it.

found it, but i was mistaken. he kept the D30 knuckles so high steer was not gained. all that was added was the 44 lock outs.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1062525

post #15 and 17 give you some other options. if all you want is to get rid of the unit bearing, doesnt warn make a locking hub kit that retains the stock bolt pattern?

Last edited:
I just need to keep searching for a D44 hub/spindle/knuckle that's 5 on 4.5". I'm going to call Currie tomorrow and see what they have to offer.

You can do this, but you have to have the rotor/hub custom drilled for the 5x4.5 pattern, and then have the center bore of the rims opened up so they fit over the hub. You also can forget about using Jeep OEM alloy wheels, as they won't work.

But, its much easier to just get new rims and do the 5x5.5 pattern. If you have a D44 rear (I haven't looked at 8.8 stuff), you can get axle shafts that have a 5x4.5 and 5x5.5 pattern to match the front.

Back