• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death Wobbs

oldmantompkins

NAXJA Forum User
Yes again!

I have an 01 (just over 100k miles) with roughly a 3" lift on it. Has AW4, stock control arms and steering set up. Addaleafs in the rear on a 8.25.

The problem is I have a very stubborn wobble at 50-55mph on the dot. It begins to wobble but I think my dampener tames the wobbs before they get to the death. I have done alignments (including caster), balanced tires and inspected steering components for movement and have only found one thing that stands out. That is I can shake the steering column from the wheel the power steering box. Along with this I have slight popping/knocking from the wheel while turning after the jeep has warmed up a bit. Also I found tonight that my power steering fluid is quite low. I will be filling that up tomorrow.

Question 1: can this play in the steering column be a cause for my wobbles?

Question 2: Can having low power steering fluid damage the power steering box?

Question 3: It seems that the wobbs increase or become more sensitive as the jeep gets hotter. WTF is with that?

Thanks a bunch for helping out. I know these death wobble threads probably get to be a nuisance but im at a loss and need some knowledge.

Y'all are a lot of help...

The play in the column SHOULDN'T effect it since its before the gear box but you should fix it. Theres 4 bolts on the firewall and 2 under the dash.

Checked for movement of the gear box?

How low did the fluid get? Reguardless, it shouldn't have hurt it.
No clue on the warmer it gets the worse it gets. Is there any play in the gear box?

Y'all are a lot of help...

The play in the column SHOULDN'T effect it since its before the gear box but you should fix it. Theres 4 bolts on the firewall and 2 under the dash.

Checked for movement of the gear box?

How low did the fluid get? Reguardless, it shouldn't have hurt it.
No clue on the warmer it gets the worse it gets. Is there any play in the gear box?

There is play from the shaft into the gear box but not any play coming out of the gear box at the pitman arm (that I can notice, enlisting a friends help to really take a close look this weekend). And the gear box dosent move, all bolts are where they should be and look to be doing their job.

And for the search nazis, I have searched, a lot. And not just here. I have gone through multiple lists with no results.

Wiggles that appear and disappear based on your road speed, are nearly always related to tire balance. Have you tires balanced at an independent tire shop that uses a machine that will perform a Road Force Balance. Most fast food type tire stores are clueless and helpless when faced with anything that isn't stock.

Real Death Wobble is pee your pants scary, and is set in motion by bumps and potholes.

Naturally, inspecting your front suspension and replacing any worn or damaged parts is never a bad idea

Last edited:
As far as the problem getting worse when its at operating temp, the only thing I can think of would be the steering fluid viscosity dropping when it gets warm. Not sure of the cause but that is likely the effect. You should definitely top off the fluid and see how it reacts though.

Wiggles that appear and disappear based on your road speed, are nearly always related to tire balance. Have you tires balanced at an independent tire shop that uses a machine that will perform a Road Force Balance. Most fast food type tire stores are clueless and helpless when faced with anything that isn't stock.

Real Death Wobble is pee your pants scary, and is set in motion by bumps and potholes.

Naturally, inspecting your front suspension and replacing any worn or damaged parts is never a bad idea

Balance was done at discount tire (did not get any better or worse after balance) not sure if that was a road force balance but it was free hence why I take it there. My tires are not huge (29s) so balancing them shouldent be an issue. Ill look into it though.

Front suspension like I said is all fine, no worn parts and no obvious play at all.

As far as the problem getting worse when its at operating temp, the only thing I can think of would be the steering fluid viscosity dropping when it gets warm. Not sure of the cause but that is likely the effect. You should definitely top off the fluid and see how it reacts though.

Thats what I was thinking but I cant imagine that ps fluid would be a cause but im going to fill anyways. The only other thing I can think of is a bushing getting hot and allowing more play thus allowing the vibes to start.

Im going to go over everything from the steering wheel forward with a microscope this weekend and hopefully find something.

Its different because as of right now it does not look like it has anything to do with CA busing, TrackB, steering linkage, hubs, alignment or tire balance.

There is play from the shaft into the gear box but not any play coming out of the gear box at the pitman arm (that I can notice, enlisting a friends help to really take a close look this weekend). And the gear box dosent move, all bolts are where they should be and look to be doing their job.

And for the search nazis, I have searched, a lot. And not just here. I have gone through multiple lists with no results.

Check the track bar bracket as well, they can work loose and help cause DW.

Yeah, GoSlowGetStuck's ZJ threw a chunk of steel at me when his DW set in, 30 mph on the highway is no fun following a death machine! :D

Back