• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Aussie Locker Question

UNCC_99XJ

Twisted Up
NAXJA Member
Did an axle and lift swap with another member this weekend, and I now have a D30 with an Aussie Locker under my Jeep. Here's what it sounds like currently:

http://s840.photobucket.com/albums/zz326/uncc_99xj/?action=view&current=MVI_1465.mp4

I don't know much at all about lockers, but i've heard they can be a little noisy sometimes. To me, this sounds more than a "little" noisy. I ordered a spring and pin kit tonight off of the advice of another member, and for $38 shipped it can't hurt. Haven't pulled the cover off yet to examine anything. Anybody have any other suggestions? Is this in fact normal and i'm just paranoid? I dont notice any driving difficulties...i.e. no binding or anything. Just that loud noise every time I turn. Most noticeable at slow speeds in parking lots, but still very noticeable when driving on the street. Seems to be noisiest on left turns.

Mine clicks too on turning that's normal, just don't do any high speed sharp turns...

There were very few times that I actually heard my aussie on the street from inside the jeep. If it's very loud and noticeable, I would look into it. You may have something wrong.

Dumb question: Did you check the oil level?

Not a dumb question and to be honest, no I didn't....which is very rare for me. Had a very limited window to do the swap this weekend and had to move quick. And now that I remember, the front pinion seal is leaking a little bit. I plan to change the fluid in both the front and rear axles either this weekend or next. I don't DD the Jeep so it sits in the parking lot for the most part. The rear axle has a bent axle shaft, so if the spring and pin kit comes before the weekend and I can get to the JY to pull a spare shaft i'll be changing fluids this weekend.

I know some clicking is normal for a locker, but to me this seems to be a bit extreme. Maybe i'm just paranoid?

I heard clicking with the window down, but never anything with the windows up. You might be hearing some loud ratcheting because the oil level is low or something is worn beyond normal.

Mine was always unnoticeable and quiet. It was a nice piece of gear for the money.

Everything i've been reading says the same thing. If the pins Don't come this weekend, i'll at least have a look at the fluid level. I don't think there's much to really go wrong (with out it being blatantly obvious that is) aside from worn springs.

Mine sounds nothing like that Tim, and if I recall correctly, we have the same set up now (HPD30, 4.10, Aussie). I don't really hear mine at all windows up or down, slow speed or high. Mine is very quiet, and I will echo RedHeep's statement that it is a "nice piece of gear."

I'm going to suggest it isn't your locker at all. At the very beginning of the video, that ratcheting sound was only audible, near as I could tell, in full lock turn. That sound was familiarly like what I got in full lock turn when my tires were hitting the lower control arm. Have you checked to make sure that you don't have contact with the new set up? If it was the case you were getting contact, then it would make sense that it would be loudest on left turns becuase that is when the drivers side tire would make contact.

Otherwise, yeah, pull the drain plug on the diff and see how dry it is! That can't hurt.

Mine makes the same exact noise and has for a while. It looks to be in good shape still. I will be watching this thread regardless.

Mine makes the same exact noise and has for a while. It looks to be in good shape still. I will be watching this thread regardless.

mine makes a ratcheting noise as well and its loud. straight, turning, high speed, low speed, doesnt matter. sounds like one of those noise makers for a childs birthday party, you hold the handle and make it spin and it makes a real loud ratchet noise.

edit: just watched video, that sounds to me like tires rubbing on something

Very first noise was tires rubbing on the flares.

The reason I was doing it at full lock was because I was in my apartment complex parking lot, and at that low of speed, that's when it makes all the noise. Turning through an intersection while on the road, even though the steering isn't near as close to full lock, it still makes all that noise.

I might then consider low oil level in the front diff. When I put my first HP in (the one I bent at the crawl) I had a bad seal and I lost a lot of oil out my passenger side axle tube and was continuously topping off.

The pins and springs are very easy to change on that locker, so when you get the new ones in, might just as well replace them and see. Hardest part for you will be pulling the carrier in your apartment complex parking lot!!!

Did ya measure the gap? Within specs?

Mine made noise and I could hear it and i'm hearing impaired with hearing aids LOL. Noise level also depends on what kind of oil you use. Thicker oils reduces the noise, according to the email from Aussie a couple years ago.

Noise level also depends on what kind of oil you use. Thicker oils reduces the noise, according to the email from Aussie a couple years ago.

I'm using whatever Wal-mart sells off the shelf --I think an 80W-90--and have no noise.

Thanks said, I really don't understand all those viscosity numbers...in gear oil or engine oil!!! :rolleyes:

I'm using whatever Wal-mart sells off the shelf --I think an 80W-90--and have no noise.

Thanks said, I really don't understand all those viscosity numbers...in gear oil or engine oil!!! :rolleyes:

If I remember correctly, the first number is cold viscosity and the second number is hot viscosity. Meaning a 5W-30 will be thinner when cold than a 10W-30, but both will be the same when hot.

Edit: Haven't measured anything. The locker was already installed when I swapped Axles with another member this past weekend.

Ever get this figured out Tim?

Couldn't get time/space at my buddy's house until tomorrow. Plans for tomorrow are to pull a replacement axle shaft for the bent one I currently have in the 8.8, then open up the D30 and look at the Aussie. Spring and pin kit arrived (thankfully) on Friday, so I'll be replacing that tomorrow regardless of what I find when I open it up.

Hoped to replace the front pinion seal tomorrow as well, but i'm not paying $40+ to get one locally from Napa right now. I'll order one from Rock Auto for $6 and replace it when I have a free moment next.

I have the same noise as you Tim, let me know what you find, I installed my Aussies earlier this year and have had the popping/clicking noises since.

Well, opened it up today to find there was maybe 1 quart of oil in the diff. Didn't see anything broken or worn out, but I went ahead and replaced the springs anyways. Didn't replace the pins because I was running out of time to pull everything out, plus they were all still in one piece and looked pretty good. Filled it back up with oil and tested it out on my buddy's property. Everything works like it should, and it was quiet driving it around his yard. The key word in that sentence was "was", as after a 40 mile highway drive home, it's back to making the same noises again....

Back