• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air locker & Air compressor Questions..

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
So, I am getting a Yukon ZIP locker for the D30 at a very very good price..

My issue is, I currently dont have OBA, I really dont want to fork over $200+ for an ARB compressor..

I have everything to do SANDEN OBA.. (but i really want A/C)
I also own a Q-industries HV-35 that i never use.. (but its my emergency pump)

I've considered getting the MV-50 (Q industries) as it is rated very similarly to the ARB CKMA12 (highly rated)

the MV-35 is rated at 24/LPM and the CKSA12 is Also 25/LPM
the MV-50 is rated at 74/LPM and the CKMA12 is rated 75/LPM

I am thinking about putting a 80/100 Pressure switch on the MV-35 and having it Solely for the front locker.. Mounting it under the hood and throwing a 3 way off the outlet, one side have a Pressure switch, the other side for the Solenoid..

any flaws in this plan? It's the "cheapest" solution sense i already have the little pump.. It is supposidly rated at 120psi, but when i pinch off the airhose it will only climb to about 65psi and just stay there (uhhh..)

Or i could put a 4 way on an MV-50, mount it underhood like i have planned above, and add an Airchuck..

or am i making this too difficult?:attom:

what pressure does the locker need to operate?

The ARB CKMA12 is actually under rated by ARB, it puts out more air then they claim. Now the MV-50 is the opposite and put it on a flow gauge and it puts out about 2/3 or even lower then they claim. Like you said it also might not get to 100 psi.

With that if you can get the MV-50 to put out 100 psi you will have plenty enough air flow for the locker. The problem you will run into is you will have no air reservoir. The ARB units have about a .75 Liter reservoir to hold air. This helps acount for air that bleeds off through the compressor and out of the seals.

The other issue is the MV-50 is it is not designed to hold air pressure like the ARB units. This along with the lack of reservoir and the pump will be running a lot. The other issue is that the MV-50 has a steel cylinder that will eventually rust and ruin the seal on the piston. ARB's have aluminum.

With all that said you could put and small 1 gallon tank somewhere in the system and everything would probably be okay for a while. Or just do it right the first time and get the ARB.

The ARB CKMA12 is actually under rated by ARB, it puts out more air then they claim. Now the MV-50 is the opposite and put it on a flow gauge and it puts out about 2/3 or even lower then they claim. Like you said it also might not get to 100 psi.

With that if you can get the MV-50 to put out 100 psi you will have plenty enough air flow for the locker. The problem you will run into is you will have no air reservoir. The ARB units have about a .75 Liter reservoir to hold air. This helps acount for air that bleeds off through the compressor and out of the seals.

The other issue is the MV-50 is it is not designed to hold air pressure like the ARB units. This along with the lack of reservoir and the pump will be running a lot. The other issue is that the MV-50 has a steel cylinder that will eventually rust and ruin the seal on the piston. ARB's have aluminum.

With all that said you could put and small 1 gallon tank somewhere in the system and everything would probably be okay for a while. Or just do it right the first time and get the ARB.

just put a small tank in place and you solve the issue. Air tanks can be ad online for air bag systems for under $20.

-Chris

It is supposidly rated at 120psi, but when i pinch off the airhose it will only climb to about 65psi and just stay there (uhhh..)

That would be the deal killer. What is the real-world max pressure for the MV50?
I've used the orignal style ARB compressor and the mini model and they both pressurized the system to 100psi in about 5 seconds. Never had a failure in nearly a decade of use. I did switch to CO2 operation to simplify the electrical demand and cleared some room underhood.

Back