• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gauges

carter442

NAXJA Forum User
what aftermarket gauges are you guys running? like type of gauge. im going to be putting in a trans temp gauge and was wondering what others i should get

Do you Have a full gauge cluster with tach, voltmeter and all those?

how important is the oil temp? i was under the impression that the oil isnt far behind the coolant. i have a 242 tcase and i was wondering if because of the coupling it would be a good idea to have one there

The oil temp isn't always close to the coolant temp, especially after a cold start. The engine coolant reaches temp way before the oil does. The oil is usually 15-20 minutes behind.

As for the 242, it doesn't have a viscous coupling.

Oil and trans temp will tell you how the jeep is running right now. A good vacuum gauge will give you insight into overall health if you can read it. A good air-fuel-ratio gauge with a wideband O2 sensor is very useful for fine-tuning.

i definately thought about a vacuum gauge the air fuel ratio gauge will wait for now until i can get some money for it since i want a wideband one

The oil temp isn't always close to the coolant temp, especially after a cold start. The engine coolant reaches temp way before the oil does. The oil is usually 15-20 minutes behind.

As for the 242, it doesn't have a viscous coupling.
what does the 242 use when in full tim 4wd? i was always told it was a viscous coupling

ok guys thank you very much on clearing that up. im thinking of using glowshift gauges. i heard heard alot about them and i know they are close to the top as far as quality.

Where are you guys putting gauges. I have been meaning to add a vacuum, and trans temp first then later I want oil temp and pressure. Just not sure where I would put them. I don't know about an A-pillar but it may be a good option for 3(?) of them.

The only A-pillar pod I've seen that is specifically fit for an XJ only holds two 2 1/16" gauges. I've seen people mount a single gauge in the vertical piece of plastic in front of the t-case handle. This might only be for 97+ though, not sure if older models are setup the same way. I really like that spot because its out of the way. The A-pillar mounts always reminded of the rice rockets dudes used to drive in HS, although it is a functional location I guess.

me and my buddy go to school for automotive technology and he works in a body shop. i believe we are going to custom make a fiberglass a pillar pod

The only A-pillar pod I've seen that is specifically fit for an XJ only holds two 2 1/16" gauges. I've seen people mount a single gauge in the vertical piece of plastic in front of the t-case handle. This might only be for 97+ though, not sure if older models are setup the same way. I really like that spot because its out of the way. The A-pillar mounts always reminded of the rice rockets dudes used to drive in HS, although it is a functional location I guess.

Yea I've seen that spot by the t-case handle used also, I don't really like it. I mean if it is out of sight you would never notice the gauge when something is going wrong.

Back