• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear end swap

machinisttx

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a '00 XJ Classic. 4.0L, AW4, NP242. Right now it's stock with a D35 rear end. A friend is going to give me a ford 9" from a late 70's lincoln versailles if I want it. The versailles had disc brakes, should have the same 5 on 4.5" lug stud pattern, the width is about the same, and from what I understand it is a large bearing housing.

Is there any reason not to use this rear end instead of an explorer 8.8? I won't be doing the swap until after I lift the jeep, so I'll have plenty of time to put in new gears, locker, etc..

Thanks in advance.

I'm no help as far as first hand experiance on that 9" My boss has the same one in his YJ with a Detroit locker and loves it. You are correct about 5x4.5 bolt and very close to same width. I would snap that up in a heart beat for a free be. Stick it in and wheel the crap out of it and never look back!

It's a shame you're in Texas. I'd be willing to trade you an XJ 44 I have for that axle. It is the exact axle I need for my Dart project. Oh well. The versailles axle is actually about 4-5 inches narrower than an XJ axle, WMS to WMS. I know, because it is almost a direct bolt-in to my dart, and I looked really hard at putting a cherokee axle in the dart, but they are too wide.

I've got a '00 XJ Classic. 4.0L, AW4, NP242. Right now it's stock with a D35 rear end. A friend is going to give me a ford 9" from a late 70's lincoln versailles if I want it. The versailles had disc brakes, should have the same 5 on 4.5" lug stud pattern, the width is about the same, and from what I understand it is a large bearing housing.

Is there any reason not to use this rear end instead of an explorer 8.8? I won't be doing the swap until after I lift the jeep, so I'll have plenty of time to put in new gears, locker, etc..

Thanks in advance.
No, you should not use this diff! It will never work for you. Tell you what, I will take it off your hands for you :D

It's a shame you're in Texas. I'd be willing to trade you an XJ 44 I have for that axle. It is the exact axle I need for my Dart project. Oh well. The versailles axle is actually about 4-5 inches narrower than an XJ axle, WMS to WMS. I know, because it is almost a direct bolt-in to my dart, and I looked really hard at putting a cherokee axle in the dart, but they are too wide.
If you're willing to have custom axle shafts made we can narrow an axle for use in your dart.

I'd take it. That axle should be 58" or 58.5" WMS-WMS. The Ford 9" is easy to upgrade with lots of aftermarket support. The housings aren't particularly strong so I would truss it as soon as you can. It also has a very low pinion but pinion gaurds are cheap and easy to bolt on.

The 9" is easily upgradable to 31, 35, or even more spline shafts, which is part of what makes it such a great axle. You should be able to get up to 31 spine using junkyard parts. But in the 28 spline form, the axle shafts are rather pathetic. Here's some of the common axle shaft diameters, you can see the 28 spline ford 9" isn't much of an upgrade there.

Dana 35, 27 splines - 1.16"
Chrysler 8.25", 27 splines - 1.17"
Chrysler 8.25, 29 splines - 1.21"
Dana 44, 30 splines - 1.30"
Ford 8.8", 28 splines - 1.29"
Ford 8.8", 31 splines - 1.32"
Ford 9", 28 splines - 1.19"
Ford 9", 31 splines - 1.33"

You also may want to consider plating the bottom of the housing, as they are somewhat thinner than non 3rd member type axle.

Just be advised there are a variety of different 9 inch rear ends. They are not all the same. If memory serves, the brake parts for those rear ends are VERY expensive. (In addition, some parts are no longer made. Like the parking brake arms.) Also those are (I think) a 28 spline axle.

Not a bad part but make sure you know what you are getting into.

Back