• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country Cross Member Alignment Seems Off.

Jarvis_Pants

NAXJA Forum User
Finally got round to installing my 6 inch rough country long arm lift kit for my 97 xj.

Ill be sure to get some pictures up when i get it finished.

Just a quick question when installing the new cross member the holes for the bolts are in the middle of the jeep whereas the old cross member had them a little to one side.

I guess i could just bump my drive train across but i wonder what it will do to the angle of the engine etc.

Been talking to Jason at RC and he assures me its the norm.

Just wanted to see if anyone else came across the same problem on there lift and how they remedied it.

Thanks.

I have the RC LA kit but didn't have any problems with the cross member lining up. Pics of the two side by side would help.

oga14j.jpg
tinypic.com

I never really compaired the two like that so i don't know. Looks to me if you spin your stock Xmember 180* all the hole will line up just fine. Meaning where your feet are in the pic should be the front of the Xmember and not the rear? I just threw mine in the trash and put RC's on. LOL

Lol we tried that but the rc is in the center so flipping it around just offsets it the other way :)

What model is your jeep? year? and trans?

If i can find someone with this kit and the same base jeep as me thats happy with the kit that will do me fine.

91, H.O., AW4, 231. I have another RC LA crossmember at my house i can take a few
Measurements off of when i get home. I've had ot for a while. Not saying RC's jig is wrong... but anything is possible. I'll check it out and let you know.

OK so the RC Xmember i have is 1" to the passanger side. Pull your tape from PS and the first bolt hole edge is 16" and from the driver side = 17". Hope this helps

Seems kinda odd to me to now that i think about this.

Last edited:
:cheers:

Ahhh yes. I remember the trans mount on my 91 being off set to one side for the exhaust to mount up to. So the important question is for Jarvis_Pants.... What model is your jeep? year? and trans?

There are 2 tranny mounts: 1 is offset and 1 is centered. Offset is on the right, centered is on the left. Looks like you need the other one. Rockauto.com sells both. From what I recall, the centered one what rockauto calls the 4-banger version, and the offset is the what rockauto calls the 6-banger version...but I don't recall exactly.

IMG_6622.jpg

Edit: from another post that I wrote 9 months ago:

I have noticed that there are 2 different kinds of cross-members: Ones with offset holes and ones with centered holes. From what I have seen, the 242 TCase usually comes with both the offset holes and centered holes (2 sets of 4 holes to mount a tranny mount for a total of 8 holes) while the 231 comes with centered holes (1 set of 4 holes to mount the tranny mount). We found this when changing out knucklehead_61's tranny mount.

Here are the part numbers:
Mfg: Anchor. Part #2625: This tranny mount has offset holes and will fit my NP242. It would not fit Tim's NP231 crossmember without drilling new holes in either the crossmember or the mount. We ground off the studs and drilled the mount for the proper location.
Mfg: Anchor. Part #2570: This tranny mount has centered holes and will fit my NP242 and Tim's MP231 crossmember.

These are only $13 a piece at rockauto.com so if in doubt, buy both.

Thanks for all the help guys its a 97 manual 4 door with the 4.0

Went back to the garage last night after posting to see if it was making a difference and checked clearance etc.

There is definitely a big problem as shunting the gear has twisted the engine which has moved the one side of the fan very close to the radiator :(

My mechanic says he knows somewhere where we can get the centered mount that the_weirdo mentions.

Really surprised that they did not mention this in the instructions. We lifted ours on a lift so it was very obvious but anyone doing this in their backyard would have missed this.

Thanks guys

Back end today... should be easier than the front good luck me.

This is a pretty valuable post for me. I installed my RC kit last year and have had minor vibes since, but I was thinking it was my hack n tap that caused them. I remember having to shove the tcase when I installed the crossmember. I will be getting the other mount and seeing if that solves the vibes.

Thanks for the heads up!

There are 2 tranny mounts: 1 is offset and 1 is centered. Offset is on the right, centered is on the left. Looks like you need the other one. Rockauto.com sells both. From what I recall, the centered one what rockauto calls the 4-banger version, and the offset is the what rockauto calls the 6-banger version...but I don't recall exactly.

IMG_6622.jpg

Edit: from another post that I wrote 9 months ago:

I have noticed that there are 2 different kinds of cross-members: Ones with offset holes and ones with centered holes. From what I have seen, the 242 TCase usually comes with both the offset holes and centered holes (2 sets of 4 holes to mount a tranny mount for a total of 8 holes) while the 231 comes with centered holes (1 set of 4 holes to mount the tranny mount). We found this when changing out knucklehead_61's tranny mount.

Here are the part numbers:
Mfg: Anchor. Part #2625: This tranny mount has offset holes and will fit my NP242. It would not fit Tim's NP231 crossmember without drilling new holes in either the crossmember or the mount. We ground off the studs and drilled the mount for the proper location.
Mfg: Anchor. Part #2570: This tranny mount has centered holes and will fit my NP242 and Tim's MP231 crossmember.

These are only $13 a piece at rockauto.com so if in doubt, buy both.

What is the Vehicle application for the #2570 mount? I can't seem to find it and it doesn't fit any cherokees

Also a question about the mount above. (on right) Looking at the four studs sticking up, the long side of the mount should point to what side? Driver?

What is the Vehicle application for the #2570 mount? I can't seem to find it and it doesn't fit any cherokees

Rockauto has the centered ones (#2570) for $9 right now. Look up a 1993 Cherokee with inline 4. The offset mount (#2625) is $10. Look up a 1993 Cherokee with inline 6.

Other years should show the same thing.

Also a question about the mount above. (on right) Looking at the four studs sticking up, the long side of the mount should point to what side? Driver?

From what I recall, the long side points to the passenger side (bolts are offset to the driver side) but its been awhile so I'm not 100%.

Back