• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tricks to Remove Brake Lines?

desertred

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone got any tricks to help loosen and remove the hard brake line fittings at the master cylinder and flexible hose that runs to the brake caliper? I need to replace the master cylinder and hoses, but am starting to round the nuts with no movement. I've be using PB Blaster. Do any of the fittings use reverse (left handed) threads? By looking at them, they don't appear to be reversed.

Are you use flare nut wrenches? I believe my 97 fittings are the hardline to the caliper line are an SAE fitting although a metric fits close I could see it rounding if using a metric.

to be honest, at the first sign of slippage... i grab a nice and solid feeling pair of vice grips... that extra engagement has helped me so often...

I know the proper technique is flare nut wrenches... but ive never justified buying a set, MAYBE NEXT TIME has allways been my motto... and yes, it has backfired. but most often works great.

AFAIK, none are reverse threaded... however sometimes it might help to try to torque it the otherway a tiny bit to break the seizure...

A GOOD set of flare nut wrenches - they are all SAE. Regular box wrenches or a cheap flare wrench will round them off every time.

If I round one off (usually due to rust) I do the same xcm does, grab a big pair of vise grips and set them as tight as I can, so tight I have to use both hands to clamp them down. Never fails, though I usually end up splicing the line and replacing the fittings.

No reverse threads on the brake system that I'm aware of.

I was using a box wrench. What is considered a source for "good" flare wrenches? Locally, I have Autozone, O'Reilly, NAPA and Sears. All the fittings appear to be SAE - 3/8" at the hoses, with the MC having 7/16" for the fitting towards the firewall and 1/2" for the other.

I try to buy Craftsman from either Sears or K-Mart (since Sears owns K-mart they have a Craftsman dept).

Lifetime warranty - can't beat it. I broke a 50 year old rachet...my dad's...they replaced it no questions.

NAPA brand flare nut wrenches are very good. I just replaced my 3/8-7/16 with another when I couldn't find it to remove my M/C.

The biggest headache is when the brake line and the flare kind of welds itself to the fitting. Penetrating oil first, then try to turn the fitting, if the fitting turns and the brake line tries to turn with it, try tapping it on the back with a screw driver and hammer, use feeling, tap tap tap and don't slip.

If all else fails to get the fitting to turn independently from the brake line, try a heat gun. I heat, then cool with water, repeat the cycle a few times. It takes some patience, but in the long run saves time.

Sometimes the fitting corrodes and it is impossible to get a good fit with a line wrench. I use a pair of vice gripes, not too tight and not to loose. Too tight and you can crush the fitting, too loose and it slips.

I always start out wiggling it back and forth, before I try a steady turn. The wiggling may loosen up the corrosion binding the brake line to the fitting.

Getting the fitting to turn is half the battle, getting the fitting to turn independently of the brake line is the other half.

If you use any kind of petro product to break the fittings loose, hose everything down with brakleen before reassembly.

I am going to assume this is not a situation where you could spray down the fittings with PBblaster for several says before removing them. What are the chances that stuff will get into the brake fluid and contaminant the whole system?

zero chance until you loosen the fittings. Just hose everything off with brakleen before reassembly and bleed it well and it'll be fine.

Picked up a set of flare wrenches from Sears this morning. I've been spraying the fittings at the MC and the hoses with PB Blaster for a few days. I will have a few more days to continue to spray the fittings. I was using the flare wrench on on of the fittings when the wrench slipped causing me to smack my hand on the edge of the MC. Spent the rest of the afternoon in the ER awaiting sutures to close the wound. The heat gun tip may be the next step.

Has anyone had luck with cutting the fitting off and re-flaring the steel line? Is there enough slack in the steel lines to do this?

I actually have found that Craftsman flare nut wrenches, though not bad, aren't quite good enough. I recommend S-K tools, which you can find at some auto parts stores. There may be others as good, but I have not seen better. The tiny margin of extra tightness and rigidity can make the difference between success and failure on a rusted fitting. They're silly expensive and worth every cent.

There may be enough slack in the lines to re-flare, but remember that these are double-flares, not that easy to do, especially in place and on old lines. It can also be difficult to get the new nut far enough down on an old line to make room for the flare fitting clamp. By the time you've spent the money on the double flare tool and the time on making it work, you might be better off getting a new length of line. As an alternative, you could cut the line a little further back, give yourself some room to do a good double flare, and then use a coupling to add a new length between that and the MC.

As 8Mud notes, Here in rust country, even when you get the fitting loose it doesn't guarantee that the fitting isn't so seized to the line that it will just twist it apart. You can sometimes coax it loose by wiggling back and forth, etc. When it's clear that the line is toast anyway, I usually cut it off flush at the fitting and use a 6 point socket wrench to remove the fitting.

Back