• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust wrap or heat shield?

PRYAPSM

NAXJA Forum User
So I am on the fence, should I install an exhaust wrap or a heat shield?

What I am planning to do. First install new APN headers, along with a new high flow cat., along with a new a muffler. And then eventually I am going to take the carpet out and do DIY bedliner. (I am taking the carpet out because I have 3 dogs and 18month son. I am still finding sand in our other SUV from over 2 years ago while we live in San Diego! )
Anyways from what I have been reading and experienced the transmission tunnel gets very hot. Is there any other options to combat this?

If I do an exhaust wrap how far back should I go? From the header to the tail pipe or just wrap from the down pipe to the muffler? Ideas?

I have read a couple other forums about using a air bake cooking sheet, does any have write-up/ pictures?

I used DEI exhaust wrap and self-adhesive floor shielding works very well, but that isn't to say the tunnel still doesn't get warm. It does, quite a bit too. My exhaust is hard mounted about 3/8" from the floor though, the more distance you have the cooler it'll be.
I wrapped the whole exhaust from the front cross member back and the floor shield stuff is just on the tunnel and under my fuel cell.

Not the the picture will help you much but here is a shot that shows the wrap.
RearAxleExhaustShot.jpg

Most of the heat from having the carpet out is from the transmission, I have no carpet and the froor is herculined and my right leg starts to get real hot wile driving for long distances, its not unbareable but is annoying.

You may want to look into the cookie sheet best shield for both trans hump and passenger side floor.

I use the exhaust heat shield form the ZJ. It was easy to fit and worked very well.

I do not know what to do about the tranny hump though. Some sort of heat shield is needed there. You may have to custom fabricate something.

I wouldn't use the wrap,it can cause alot of corrosion unless you have a full stainless steel system.

I wouldn't use the wrap,it can cause alot of corrosion unless you have a full stainless steel system.

But living in AZ we are exposed to how much moisture? If it did get wet you would dry quicker than in the mid-west. I have been in Chicago for the past 1 year 1/2 and there were weeks where our floor mats stayed wet from the snow.

I use the exhaust heat shield form the ZJ. It was easy to fit and worked very well.

I do not know what to do about the tranny hump though. Some sort of heat shield is needed there. You may have to custom fabricate something.

The tranny hump is probably going to be the hardest to protect I think. If I got something fabricated how would I mount it? I don't want a bunch of rivets ends exposed in the cab, or I was just thinking it could attach right below the center console will never see any bolts from there.

Most of the heat from having the carpet out is from the transmission, I have no carpet and the froor is herculined and my right leg starts to get real hot wile driving for long distances, its not unbareable but is annoying.

You may want to look into the cookie sheet best shield for both trans hump and passenger side floor.

Yeah is there in way to put some type of protect mat over the tranny tunnel before you line it? Would you see joint lines where the mat meets up with the floor or other pieces of mat?

I used DEI exhaust wrap and self-adhesive floor shielding works very well, but that isn't to say the tunnel still doesn't get warm. It does, quite a bit too. My exhaust is hard mounted about 3/8" from the floor though, the more distance you have the cooler it'll be.
I wrapped the whole exhaust from the front cross member back and the floor shield stuff is just on the tunnel and under my fuel cell.

While not wrap the heads also? How and where did you mount the floor shielding? I would figure if they are self adhesive they would stick very well to the underbelly?

Old thread, but the OP PM'd me so I will answer here for everyone.
How and where did you mount the floor shielding? I would figure if they are self adhesive they would stick very well to the underbelly?
I stripped and cleaned the floor and then stuck it right to it. It does not stick well to the factory undercoat but since most of that was gone in my case anyway it wasn't a big deal.

From the PM I just got:
PRYAPSM said:
Did you wrap your header and did you use 2" or 1"? How well is the wrap holding up?

Also do you have more pictures of your exhaust?

Thanks
I did not wrap the header. I used the exactly kit I linked above, 2" wide wrap. Seems to be holding up well, use the stainless ties that come with the kit (and get some more). They are a bit costly but they work the best for this application.

I don't have any other pictures I can take really, besides the one above there are these two. The rest of the exhaust is above my belly pan and I'm not dropping that down to snap a few photos.

Exhuast_Finished2.jpg

Exhuast_Finished1.jpg

Old thread, but the OP PM'd me so I will answer here for everyone.
I stripped and cleaned the floor and then stuck it right to it. It does not stick well to the factory undercoat but since most of that was gone in my case anyway it wasn't a big deal.

From the PM I just got:

I did not wrap the header. I used the exactly kit I linked above, 2" wide wrap. Seems to be holding up well, use the stainless ties that come with the kit (and get some more). They are a bit costly but they work the best for this application

awesome how long has the wrap been there?? thanks

If this is daily driven I would just wrap the APN, BTW I if you plan to liner the floor I would DEFINATELY put the carpet back in with a baby in there, the noise and heat without is horrible.

If this is daily driven I would just wrap the APN, BTW I if you plan to liner the floor I would DEFINATELY put the carpet back in with a baby in there, the noise and heat without is horrible.

Yeah eventually I am going to race so I don't he will be doing much riding along with me.. Also if the heat is horrible I will leave the carpet in, its hot enough outside I don't need any more heat in the cab.

Just an FYI here. most, if not all Header Manufacturers will tell you to never wrap the header. A blanket is about all they are will to accept.

Sounds good. So what are my other options of keeping the engine bay temp down BESIDES venting the hood?

Back