• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88xj steering column compatabilaty

It's a chevy style steering column so there are ALOT that would fit. Can you not find a direct replacement at a junk yard in your area?

Havent gone to the junkyard yet. just wanted to know what to look for incase I cant find one. what other year cherokee column's will work?? yj column's? I heard a collum from a s10 wil work is that true?

what other year steering column's will work in my 88 xj? or possibly other model columns?

1986-1990 will fit.

Other GM type steering columns may be similar and may fit if you adapt or modify them, but you won't know until you own it.

I think you can go through 94 pretty much interchangeably. In 95 they went to a Chrysler column with a mechanical airbag, and in 97 to another Chrysler column that's entirely different. The shaft between column and steering gear stayed the same through 96, but changed after, and the later shafts will not fit the earlier columns.

Anyway, the 95-96 column is not very nice, with hard-to-find horn buttons, fewer intermediate wiper settings, and a nasty tendency to start the wipers when using the signal stalk.

Back