• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Question (Ford D44 and D60)

kevinde1

NAXJA Forum User
I have the opportunity for some ford axles (d44 and d60) that were modified for 89 wrangler. I was wondering does anybody know if they will bolt into my 89 cherokee, and if not what mods will need to be made? Thanks for your replies.

They will work with new brackets, new steering, trac bar and trac bar bracket, need new wheels. Might as well do an SYE and drive shaft while your at it. This isn't a jeep bolt in (more of a custom fabrication) and go! Good luck!

New Steering? Do you mean steering box and tie rods and such? Do I use cherokee steering, trac bar and bracket?

The Cherokee is a 4-link coil sprung rig while the YJ Wrangler is a simpler leaf sprung truck. The bracket set is completely different. You would have to completely strip the axle and weld on a new set of brackets... a TNT Truss is the easiest route, and very strong.

Actually the steering from an 89 wrangler will need little fabrication, IF you have welding and fab skills... if you do not you should either pass or pay a pro to do the all of mods.

I believe RoyalXJ has this setup in his xj so I think it would be best to pm him or maybe you'll get lucky and he'll chime in.

rear perches on the 60 should be fine as long as its soa already. the 44 you will need coil buckets, track bar bracket, control arm mounts and something to mount your shocks to. i ended up going the easy route and buying a t&t truss kit.

Back