• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gear ratio on a D44 and 14bolt?

Nuke Proof

NAXJA Forum User
Years ago I bought the entire front end out of a 77 chevy one ton(cut the frame off even with the firewall) and the rear end out of it as well. All this for some stupid idea I had at the time.

Now that my head is on straight I want to sell them, but I need to know what gear ratio they have before I can advertise. Can anyone tell me how to check without counting teeth? Or is that what I should do?

Thanks guys you've been a ton of help in the last couple of days.

Hold one axleshaft steady while turning the pinion and counting the number of pinion rotations it takes to make the other axleshaft make two full rotations.

The gear ratio is <number of pinion rotations you counted>:1.

I generally do this by leaving the rusty dirty brake rotor/drum on one side and remove the rotor/drum on the other side.

You can also let both ends spin free and turn the pinion till the shafts both make one full revolution, but that's somewhat less accurate sometimes when the shafts don't spin equally.

I always count teeth.. its really easy to pull the cover for picture's sake anyway when selling an axle

Watching the pinion spin in correlation to the shafts is much easier than pulling the cover, but if you are selling it take a pic of the ring and pinion.

One ton with a front D44?

Just guessing at that. I know the truck was a one ton, just assuming it's D44. Never really paid attention to it, why what should it be?

Thanks
IMAG0091.jpg

Last edited:
Back