• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

camber issue

fleaflicker225

NAXJA Forum User
i've got an '87 XJ, 4.0 and aw4. stock dana 30 up front with a 3 inch lift.

i hit a ditch (sliding around in my yard) a while back and since then the camber up front has been way off. the top off the wheels are too far in and the bottoms are too far out, so the inside of the tires are wearing away too fast. the hanes manual says there is no way to adjust the camber, so i need to know what is bent. i think it's the knuckles but i don't know how to check.

anybody know how to check them?

could be ur inner C on the axle is bent...or ur ball joints could have shit the bed...i doubt your knuckle is the issue but it could possibly be...if the camber issue isnt to bad they do make offset ball joints which i just put on my rig...go up to 2 deg of positive or negative cambe through it on the rack and it was golden right within spec again....how bad is the camber angle? got any pics? or if you know the degree at which it is at roughly

Last edited:
Go down to the alignment shop and have them put it on the rack. Get a printout of the measurements. Any damage should show up as major differences in the numbers from one side to the other.

At 3" of lift depending on your control arm lengths, the camber can look odd, but not be a problem.

If you have excessive tire wear, you need to look at/adjust the toe-in and check the ball joints.

Have the alignment shop check the numbers, get a printout. Have them inspect the ball joints and the knuckle. If the alignment numbers make you suspect damage, swap in a different knuckle and go back to the alignment shop for another printout.

Around here, XJ axles are cheap and messing with swapping parts and multiple trips to the alignment shop is not worth the trouble, especially if the inner C or the axle tube is bent.

IMHO, the simplest solution is to swap in another undamaged axle.

Back