• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rugged Ridge CB Dash Mount

A tj dash is alot deeper than a xj dash. I don't think they're bracket would work, unless you used a really small radio. Mount it to the roof, great location and it doesn't block the speaker.

X2. There is a lot of room between the visors for a radio.
I used a piece of 2-1/2" X 10-1/2" X 3/16" steel, held between the sun visor clips, to support a heavy UHF ham radio and speaker. It's more than strong enough and isn't in the way.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/3840612234/in/set-72157622095993436/

Mounted on the dash, it blocks part of your view of the road.

x3
I just bought a piece of flat steel at Sears yesterday in order to do this (4' was the shortest..cost $6.99). Will take almost zero effort to cut it, drill four holes, paint, and mount. Plus, having the CB up there allows to run the 12v power hard-wired under the headliner to either the remote entry dome or dome lights for a clean install.

If I still had a Pre-96 I would probably put it in place of the vent in the dash below the HVAC controls

I would love to mount it under the headliner, but I've got the overhead console with the trip computer. I'll probably just fab one for the left side of the dash. It's no big deal, but I've done so many major surgeries (weld-in sliders, frame stiffeners, rear bumper fab, etc.) on my Jeep lately that I was looking for an easy, simple solution for some of the small minor stuff. Thanks for the input.

Slight Hijack here.., No way can I place a CB inbetween the visors on an '89.., as they terminate so very closely together above the rear view mirror. Guess I could obtain some newer visors and rip the hell out of my headliner in order to obtain a modified purchase point.., but not worth it to me. I have seen a forum member's photo which shows his CB in front of the lower heater vent, between it, and the standard transmission 5 speed shifter boot area. The only thing I'd do differently is to place some thermal insulation between the vent and radio in order to prevent overheating radio components. Sure like that overhead location though...

I'm going to modify my overhead console to fit a compact radio. I'll use the existing power for the console lights and then I'll run the coaxial and cb mic extension cables under the headboard. I'm going to use mic extension cables so I can route my mic to come out under the left side of the dash or out of the center console. This way I don't have to deal with a mic cable swinging around in the middle of the Jeep all of the time.

Does anyone have an answer to the original question? I have a scanner mounted between my visors and would like to use this for my smaller cobra cb.

I'm going to modify my overhead console to fit a compact radio. I'll use the existing power for the console lights and then I'll run the coaxial and cb mic extension cables under the headboard. I'm going to use mic extension cables so I can route my mic to come out under the left side of the dash or out of the center console. This way I don't have to deal with a mic cable swinging around in the middle of the Jeep all of the time.

I did this and loved it. Too bad I gave my buddy the entire console with CB. Just cut out the sunglasses and garage door opener area from a JY overhead console and wired it up. I hooked up the mic and then screwed the retainer into the side of the console- the cable was short and stiff enough to never bug me too bad.

Never took any pics of the install...:doh:

Back