• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heim life

CaliXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I recently put together my heim steering and with the help from jeeperjohn an OAT mount. For those that are running a heim style steering, how long should i expect them to last? The heims i bought are Ruff Stuff heims and haven't heard any complaints about them. I have one heim that only lasted 3 weeks and less than 1000 mi. though. I'm really hoping this is just a flawed heim and not something that is going to be a once a month ordeal. I did call RS and told them about it and will be sending a new one out ASAP with no questions so this is not a bash or anything on RS. Just a question on the life expectancy for heims on a DD. Thanks

Last edited:
i have been running heims from ballistic for over a year now without a problem. i grease them on occassion, but i dont really worry about them much. theyre still tight and quiet. heims on a DD is not a big deal, especially for those of us out west

I run all RS heims in my steering. Last time I went out they started squeeking when I turned. PMed Dan and he said use a Teflon lubricant. They're quiet now...

I run all RS heims in my steering. --- Teflon lubricant. ...
This. Ran heims for DD/wheeling rig for almost a year. 14k and some hard trails later 2 had the TINIEST amount of play and were replaced. Just keep em clean and forget about em. I'll Never go back to TRE's.

Call up Ruffstuff... His heims are the best on the market. They do some crazy stuff with cryoginics that creates a super hard, self lubricating race. They can explain it better. I use dans rod ends on all my builds.

mine started squeekin' last week but i DID drive into ocean water last month.. i sprayed wd-40 on them for now, i need to get Teflon lubricant..

I also run Ruffstuff's, could not be happier with my setup!

Hey thanks guys. I guess there is a bad one every now and then. RS has one being sent out to me. Good to know about the teflon lub. I'll need to get some.

I've had QA1 Heim rod ends on my 94 for some 10 years, and 3 of those were daily driver duty outside of Chicago. I've driven it to work at 70 mph a couple of times over the last year without issue.

Back